Issues setting up multiple airport extremes

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post, so please forgive me if i miss anything out. Sorry its a bit long, but want to give as many details as i can so nothing is missed out.

I recently moved into a multi-storey apartment, and was having issues getting strong enough wireless signal throughout the apartment. So what i decided to try was the following:

Upstairs:
DSL modem (Motorola surfboard) connected to Airport Extreme (No.1).
Set up Airport extreme (No.1) to create a wireless network. No issues!
From Airport extreme (No.1) via ethernet:
1. To QNAP server
2. To Imac
3. To Aztech gigabit homeplug.

Downstairs:
From Aztech Gigabit Homeplug to Airport Extreme (No.2)
Set up Airport Extreme (No.2) to extend my network via ethernet cable
From Airport extreme (No.2)
1. To Apple TV
2. To PS3
3. To Amp (to connect to QNAP media server)

OK. So here are the issues:

using airport utility, everything sets up without any hassles. But after about 5 - 10 mintues, the downstairs (No.2) Airport extreme simply 'disappears' from the airport utility. No amount of re-scanning will make it appear anymore. The extreme still has a green light though, and everything that is hard-wired to it, can still access the internet.

However, if i connect my macbook to the downstairs (No.2) airport extreme, I do not see the QNAP server listed in my 'shared' items in Finder as it does when i am upstairs. Can still access the QNAP admin page though.

More annoying / frustrating - NO wireless device that connects to the downstairs Airport Extreme has any access to the internet. In fact, I'm not even sure if they are connecting at all. I get the 'full stregnth' bars on my iphone / ipad. But no internet. when i go to my nework settings i see:
1. No IP address is assigned, even if i try and renew my lease etc, nothing works.
2. If i try and re-join the network (which is listed AND has full strength), the iphone just does nothing...going back to the main screen shows no wi-fi access at all. Just a small circle. Still no internet access.

If i walk upstairs with the phone, the signal immediately jumps to full strength and i have proper internet access.

taking my laptop upstairs, it connects immediately AND the QNAP server shows under my shared items.

It is driving me nuts. PLEASE can someone help me. I have searched as many posts as I can, and have tried:
- Re-booting everything
- resetting the Airports (many, many times)
- i tried various options - creating a new network with the same name / details, extending the network (as described), even creating a different network (disaster!).
- resetting the networks on the iphone
- tried bypassing the Aztech homeplugs and using a long ethernet cable running down the stairs (then re-doing all the set up etc). not a difference

nothing seems to work. Just seems that the downstairs Extreme (in bridge mode btw) just cannot seem to 'register' wireless clients on the network. I tried assigning it a static IP from the upstairs airport, and set up manual DHCP settings, still no luck.

Would REALLY appreciate if anyone has any input at all. i'm ready to just ditch the downstairs extreme and simply have no wireless downstairs.

Btw all my devices are running the latest updated software as per the standard software update tool.

thanks for any help in advance!
Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.