Buying used vs. new, any advice?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I'm typing this on a slightly-more-than-two-year-old laptop running Vista, which already has a dead DVD drive and is having trouble starting sometimes. Since I use a computer a lot, I don't want to be without one, so it seems like I need to start shopping.

The trouble is, I'm trying to save money for other purposes, so I've been thinking about buying something used. There sure are enough used Macs around, both online and locally. I'm just nervous about buying something used. I would never do it with a PC, but considering the price of a new Mac, I can see why people do.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience/advice to share about this; it would really help me decide which way to go. (FYI, I'm not completely ignorant of Macs, it's just that my experience is old - System 7. I've been doing some reading here and will probably hit a local store tomorrow for more info, but there's a lot to catch up on.)

Thanks in advance, and mods, please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong place. Or if this topic has already been talked about, a link would be fine; I just couldn't find any info on a search I did of the entire forum.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some people would never buy a used computer...and folks like me will always buy used!:)

There is always some risk when buying a used computer...you simply need to be:

- familiar with computers (what to look & listen for when examining a used computer)
- know what questions to ask a seller of a computer
- maybe be able to "size-up" a seller if they seem honest when they answer questions...or if they're hiding something

If you buy a used computer off of Craig's List...you can see, touch, and use a computer before purchasing it (so safer). If you buy on e-Bay...this can be a bit riskier. Even if an e-Bay purchased used computer works fine...sometimes it's harder to get an real good good idea of it's cosmetic condition...unless you have a bunch of real good closeup detailed photos.

The best of all worlds when buying a used Macintosh computer is if you can find one on Craig's List that still has Applecare remaining on it. You can examine it before paying for it, and if something does happen shortly after you buy it (a pre-existing condition)...hopefully the Applecare would cover it.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There's always the option on the Apple refurbished store. probably the safest way out there to get a 2nd hand/2nd's Apple product. And you get the same warranty on it as a new Apple product. And it's direct from Apple too.

The downsides though:
No flashy box. They usually come in a brown box I've heard.
The range can be at times limited as the good deals are snapped up at times seconds after they are pet on the website.
Sometimes the deals are great and other times it's not as big saving.

But would I check the Apple refurbished store out on the Apple website? Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I bought my MacBook Pro as a refurb from apple.com. Couldn't tell it from new, and saved $200. It was hard to stomach the price, but this made it the same as a equivalently equipped PC. I believe the quality is still better in the Mac.

I wouldn't buy a used one unless you know someone who is really capable of checking it out thoroughly. Think of it as a Porsche of computers; most people don't know enough to make an honest assessment, and you don't want just any hack working on it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Another vote for the refurb store..I got my 27" i7 iMac from there..ended up saving almost $400 off the retail price..the machine looks JUST like a new machine and I get the full 1 year AppleCare too..

If you buy used and it's beyond the 1st year and the original owner didn't buy the extended AppleCare that might be a risk since replacing parts on the Macs can be very expensive..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.