Audio-visual issue with Windows 7 on iMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium on my 24'' iMac (not the latest version) via bootcamp, and everything works fine...

...everything except the sound and video. The sound is somewhat screechy and not as clear as it is on my Mac OSX, while the video is pretty terrible (blurry, laggy image, delayed window minimization), and the more graphically intensive Aero themes are inaccessible.

After checking which graphics card is in use, instead of the built-in nVidia GeForce GT 120, I saw something like "standard VGA graphics adapter" being my current graphics card. I searched all over, trying to find a trace of my own graphics card, but to no avail.

I'm wondering what the source of this problem could be:

i) Having followed the guide at Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough – Simple Help, there was only one step I couldn't follow, namely step 12, since I could not remove the installation CD from my drive after repeatedly pressing the eject key on my Mac keyboard (I know of no mechanical alternative). Perhaps this caused some error.

ii) My Boot Camp is version 2.0; I am currently downloading Boot Camp 3.0, perhaps the outdated version is causing some discrepancy.

iii) Perhaps there is some kind of unresolved compatibility issue between my OS and the computer's hardware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Definitely install Boot Camp 3.1, which is the latest version - it is a windows executable and you run it from within Windows. Also, you didn't say if you had put your Snow Leopard disk into your computer while running windows - that has all the right drivers on it. Should self-install. Those two steps should fix most of the issues. If things persist, post back with some more details.

Cheers

OP
G
Reaction score
Actually, it just hit me, while reading up on Boot Camp on Wikipedia, that nothing before 3.1 supports Windows 7. After finding the installation utility for 3.0 (which wasn't easy - my OS is Snow Leopard 10.5.6), I put it in place, upgraded it to 3.1, and voila, everything is fine now!

Thanks for suggesting it even though I got the answer sooner, you would've been a great help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.