Ubuntu to Mac

Reaction score
I am on the edge of switching but I don't know if I still should. What are the things that really would make me want to switch?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is no clear answer to such an open ended question..perhaps if you were to say what you do with your Ubuntu machine, what your budget is and what you were hoping to try/do with a Mac we MIGHT be able to provide something constructive..

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It's hard to say without knowing what you do with your machine as RM stated. As something to consider, you can always run Ubuntu in a VM on your Mac and thus, you'd get both so to speak.

OP
E
Reaction score
I just browse the web, chat, and do email. I will be recording and doing small edits on video in 1080i (recording PS3 Gameplay). I am also going to take computer science at the university so I will be using programming programs I guess. I also use Aptana for php coding occasionally (I am learning php).

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
OK..so what about your Ubuntu machine makes you want to switch to a Mac? I mean, if things are working OK with your Ubuntu machine (being a former Ubuntu Linux user) right now..why consider the switch?

The barrier of entry into Mac's price-wise is significantly higher than a computer that is capable of running Ubuntu REALLY well..

Regards

OP
E
Reaction score
OK..so what about your Ubuntu machine makes you want to switch to a Mac? I mean, if things are working OK with your Ubuntu machine (being a former Ubuntu Linux user) right now..why consider the switch?

The barrier of entry into Mac's price-wise is significantly higher than a computer that is capable of running Ubuntu REALLY well..

Regards

Well, money isn't much of a problem. I will also be getting a phone and I am considering the iPhone. I have switched to ubuntu from windows vista a few months ago. I will be getting a new computer and will most likely be getting a Dell Studio and installing Ubuntu on that. The thing that has me on the edge of going Mac is because of the iPhone and iPad. They won't work much with ubuntu and I would have to virtualize or dual boot windows and I don't want to do that.

I also want to work for apple in the future after I get my master's in computer science. I want to be there to replace Steve Jobs when I am 50 lol. (I am 16 at the moment). If I don't switch to Mac, I will most likely be plotting on how to take down Apple with the EddyPad, the EddyPod, and EddyOS. Oh, don't forget about the Eddy Media Store.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I can see your point with the iPad and iPhone. Very simple to use with OSX and a Mac. And since the core of OSX is Unix anyway, you would feel like you are in a totally strange land. Terminal and everything in OSX.

OP
E
Reaction score
I can see your point with the iPad and iPhone. Very simple to use with OSX and a Mac. And since the core of OSX is Unix anyway, you would feel like you are in a totally strange land. Terminal and everything in OSX.

Isn't the terminal more frequent in Linux though?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps it's used more frequently but OS X is a Unix OS. In the Utilities folder is the Terminal app which should seem very familiar to you. And remember, you can still use Ubuntu on your Mac should you wish to do so.

Apple Terminal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I use both OS X and Ubuntu. There are a lot of similarities, OS X is just better supported and has a lot more features. The fact that I can speak to both systems in bash is great. Go Mac. You'll be glad you did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.