Switched...

Reaction score
Im a recent PC loser... Im ashamed it took me this long to MAC.

Anyways, I have two questions that need immediate attention..

1.) Im looking for a program that allows me to "draw/paint" and add "text" to a picture.

2.) Im thinking of using Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro to allow me to use a program for work that only works with PC.
Im just not sure if its something I really want to do? Is it safe? Is it efficient? Will it allow me to run the program at full capacity?

Im looking to run this program...

The Cad Zone - Fire Zone

Thank you for any help I can get..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I'll answer the second question.

Yes, you should be able to use Boot Camp to install a partition of Windows without any problems. Just be sure to follow the directions and you will be fine. If you do install Windows, it will run natively on your Mac as well as it would on any other PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I recently found out Preview has drawing and text tools. Go 'Tools' > Annotate. Very convenient when sending email pics with arrows and notes. Pixelmator is pretty good image apps.

C

chas_m

Arr! Welcome aboard th' good ship Mac-Forums on this fine Talk Like A Pirate Day, me hearty!

Im a recent PC loser... Im ashamed it took me this long to MAC.

I know your fingers are "trained" from years of typing PC, but Mac isn't an acronym and thus shouldn't be capitalised. It's a brand name, like Ford or Sony.

1.) Im looking for a program that allows me to "draw/paint" and add "text" to a picture.

Pages (part of iWork), Pixelmator, Photoshop Elements, Portraits & Prints (free), Graphic Converter ... there must be a boatload of programs that will do this. P&P is perfect for dressing up a photo with text, thought/word balloons, arrows and such. Others may have further suggestions.

2.) Im thinking of using Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro to allow me to use a program for work that only works with PC.
Im just not sure if its something I really want to do? Is it safe? Is it efficient? Will it allow me to run the program at full capacity?

First of all, you should be aware that there are plenty of CAD options native for the Mac that appear to be able to do the same thing as this program Fire Zone, and you might want to check some of them out.

Nevertheless, you want to know about Boot Camp and its ability to create a Windows partition so you can run Windows (there are also "virtualisers" like Parallels, VMWare and VirtualBox [the latter of which is free] that can probably do the job more conveniently. There's also Crossover for the Mac that, unlike any of the other solutions, does not require the purchase of a new Windows license (indeed, does not require Windows at all). You might download the trial and see if you can get Fire Zone to work on it first, as that's the cheapest way to go (other than using a Mac-native program, that is).

"Is it something I really want to do?" I generally tell switchers to avoid relying on the "Windows crutch" while they learn the Mac. But if you have a specific need that a Mac program can't match, maybe running Windows (or Crossover) is right for you.

Boot Camp and the virtualiser programs need a fresh, never-activated copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 in addition to whatever the virtualiser programs cost. Crossover emulates the Windows API so it doesn't need Windows, but also doesn't run every program the others can.

Boot Camp and the virtualisers both use the Intel chip in your Mac to turn your computer into a 99% (virtualisers) to 100% (Boot Camp) true Intel PC, so they work as well as any other PC. A Boot Camp-based solution, by virtue of not having to share any resources with Mac OS X, runs faster/best ... but I don't see that as a real factor in running a simple CAD program, and having to reboot the machine and choose which OS to run will get old fast.

The virtualiser programs run Windows *alongside* (in a window) on Mac, increasing the convenience factor considerably. Crossover runs in a similar fashion.

"Is it safe?" Well, its as safe as running Windows, so no it's not safe. You can minimize the risk by running the same anti-virus (et al) type programs you would run on a PC, but as with PCs there's no guarantee. Crossover doesn't have this problem because it doesn't run the actual Windows OS and thus isn't subject to Windows-based attacks.

Everything I've mentioned comes with a free trial. I'd suggest Crossover first only because its the least hassle to set up (and take down if it can't do the job). After that I'd try Virtualbox because its free and seems to be as good or nearly so as its commercial competitors.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Arr! Welcome aboard th' good ship Mac-Forums on this fine Talk Like A Pirate Day, me hearty!
What happened to the rest of the post? :p

Pages (part of iWork), Pixelmator, Photoshop Elements, Portraits & Prints (free), Graphic Converter ... there must be a boatload of programs that will do this. P&P is perfect for dressing up a photo with text, thought/word balloons, arrows and such. Others may have further suggestions.
There's Paintbrush which is free but the last release was over a year ago so I don't know if it's still being developed and thus supported.

C

chas_m

What happened to the rest of the post? :p

Arrr ye sea-dog, a lengthy explanation can get as annoyin' as sand in your sword-sheath in pirate talk! Pirates don't be gettin' long-winded, lest they find themselves swimmin' with the fishes!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Who you calling a sea-dog? And it's a good thing I don't observe TLAPD because I tend to get quite verbose ;).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
A
Reaction score
Quin..

Thanks. Just what I was looking for. Worked great.

chas_m..

Gonna try Crossover. I loaded up the trial version and will give it a shot tomorrow while on shift. Thanks again for your reply. You were more informative of exactly what I needed to know than all the searching Ive done. Thank you!

Everyone else..

Thank you for all the help and suggestions..

Reaction score
@chas_m, why do you say that the windows installation must be a "fresh, never-activated copy"?

I was planning on deauthorizing my full version (not OEM) of win7 that I am currently running when I switch to a mac and install it on bootcamp and then point Parallels to it. If I understand you correctly, this will not work?

Will MS reject the authentication for some reason?

C

chas_m

@chas_m, why do you say that the windows installation must be a "fresh, never-activated copy"?

I was planning on deauthorizing my full version (not OEM) of win7 that I am currently running when I switch to a mac and install it on bootcamp and then point Parallels to it. If I understand you correctly, this will not work?

Will MS reject the authentication for some reason?

Your version MAY work, but you may have to call MS and ask permission. They'll probably grant it, but this whole scenario is so hilariously outside the Mac experience that it's seen as comically ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
I would also recommend staying with Mac OS and its own software, if at all possible. It really is worth re-learning a new program to stick with it.

The one thing that was hardest for me as a Switcher was giving up certain PC-specific programs. My favorite was Irfanview; a great, fast, and efficient imaging program. He's just one guy, so he doesn't bother to support Mac. I figured out how to do everything I need to do in iPhoto. (the "serious" photo guys shun iPhoto, but I really like it.)

It is popular to bash Microsoft here. But I've found that for Word and Excel specifically, there is just no substitute. I bought iWork first, and was disappointed at how slow it is compared to Office. Especially the spreadsheet program. Threw that in the trash and bought Office, like I should have done originally. To me, Microsoft makes good software overall. I'm not a huge fan of their Windows operating systems, but the rest has been good to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I was planning on deauthorizing my full version (not OEM) of win7 that I am currently running when I switch to a mac and install it on bootcamp and then point Parallels to it. ?

You don't need Bootcamp & Parallels - one or the other, but not both.

Reaction score
Your version MAY work, but you may have to call MS and ask permission. They'll probably grant it, but this whole scenario is so hilariously outside the Mac experience that it's seen as comically ridiculous.

Phew... I thought though it would be something like this. I have had to call MS on a couple of occasions and then I just got an automated machine that asked for my serial number and granted it. Never actually got a human. It's a legit copy and I don't mind removing it from the original machine and installation, so there shouldn't be an issue.

Actually, I had an OEM version of Vista and reinstalled that many times when I had to completely rebuild my PC (everything changed but the motherboard) and it still validated without issue. This surprised me to no end.

Agree though that MS have a crap authentication process. But then again, iTunes and their crazy 5 authorized devices drives me around the bend as well.

Reaction score
You don't need Bootcamp & Parallels - one or the other, but not both.

Why not get both. I need an installation of Win7 for Parallels, so if I just install it on the Parallels, I'd be stuck if I suddenly wanted to play a high end windows game.

If I go the route of a bootcamp installation, I can just point Parallels to it and still only have one windows installation, but the choice to run software through Parallels, but if I need the grunt, I also have it via bootcamp.

Of course, having only planned this and not actually done it yet, if you know of any real problems that may occur I would be interested.

To be honest, I will try to slowly move everything over to the Mac OS as I can. But all that takes money, and I don't know how many companies will allow me to simply switch over to a Mac license for free (or via a sidegrade)

Then there are some programs which we use that are only available for the PC. Not many, but some. It will be hard to find a replacement for Irfanview to be honest. Nothing else I have tried has ever been anywhere near as good for my personal needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.