Can you put 4GB of ram in a macbook that "only supports" 2GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MA701LL/A (C2D 2ghz, 2gb, 120gb HDD).
I just purchased my first mac, a MA701LL/A.

The max ram is listed as 2GB.

I already have 2x 2GB sticks laying around I can just throw in there.

Will this harm the computer in any way?

If it may become harmful to the computer I might just have to go buy 2 lesser sticks of 2x 1GB sticks then....

Also if anyone else has had one of these is it possible to get it to accept more than 2gb? Only asking because I know some of the newer macbooks, it shows max ram @ 4gb but you can somehow make it take 6gb...

Thanks a lot!
-Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MA701LL/A (C2D 2ghz, 2gb, 120gb HDD).
garain felt

ok... cool.

I have 2x 2gb sticks labeled pc2-6400, but they clock down to 4200 &/or *5300*

Will these sticks be good ? Do MB's recognize the different clock speeds of the ram and choose the right speed for it ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've heard of it working, but I would mess with it personally :p
I'd just get the right RAM, as I know Macs are quite picky about these sorts of things. :)
You can try it at your own risk.... as long as it's 200 pin, and it may or may not work, or it may or may not show you any benefit.
If it boots with that RAM, you can look in system profiler to see what the Mac is recognising, and in activity monitor to see what is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
ok... cool.

I have 2x 2gb sticks labeled pc2-6400, but they clock down to 4200 &/or *5300*

Will these sticks be good ? Do MB's recognize the different clock speeds of the ram and choose the right speed for it ?

it has to be the same clock speed or your going to have to overlock your ram to get to the same clock speed (this would be hard on the battery, and I dont know if theres much for mac overclocking).

also, 50 bucks for 4gb of ram? seems like the ram is either used... or hm, seems fishy.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
As long as they are 200 pin DDR2, then they should work. They'll just run at the bus speed of 667 instead of it's rated speed of 800Mhz.

It will recognize you have 4GB installed, but the machine is hardware limited to actually using only 3GB. Many of us (myself included) are using matching pairs to maintain dual channel mode instead of using a 2GB and a 1GB stick.

None of us will know for sure that they'll work until you put them in and try to boot the machine. The RAM is either still good or it's not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.