• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xbox 360 or PS3; which should I buy?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm definitely going to be buying my first next gen console next Wednesday and I need some final advice. Should I buy a 360 or PS3?

As of now, I'm leaning towards a 360 because they have the Left 4 Dead and Halo series. I don't really mind paying the 50 bucks for the X-Box live membership too. Plus, I like the controller a whole lot better than the PS3.

But now, I'm having some minor doubts. PS3, of course, has a blu-ray player but I also read that Valve will be concentrating more of their online efforts to the PS3. Of course, that could a long time away but it's just something I'm considering.

And no, I'm not really interested in PS Move or Kinect.

Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
because there have been many topics about this on here, I will make it short and sweet...
XBOX 360!

Search the forums to know why!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Live in Australia and ill sell you my PS3 with 3yr extended warranty with 2 games for $350 :)

If you dont You cant have it lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
There will always be PS3 vs Xbox360, just like Mac Vs PC.

I have an original elite 360 and a original 60GB PS3.
Hands down I like the PS3 more. I actually don't even use the 360 anymore.

But as far as the new consoles, I'm really not sure what to recommend... I guess it comes down to what games you want to play.

OP
T
Reaction score
because there have been many topics about this on here, I will make it short and sweet...
XBOX 360!

Search the forums to know why!

Haha, I'm actually convinced by your answer. Short and straight to the point. Next wednesday, I'm definitely going to be buying myself a Xbox360 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just a thought since neither matter to me but the idea of getting a Blu-ray player and a gaming console in one package seems like a winner plus i read somewhere its 3D upgradeable don't know what impact that would have on gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

I have an original elite 360 and a original 60GB PS3.
Hands down I like the PS3 more. I actually don't even use the 360 anymore.

But as far as the new consoles, I'm really not sure what to recommend... I guess it comes down to what games you want to play.

I'm with this guy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
PS3 for me as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 2.8Ghz, 500GB 7200RPM H/D, nVidia 9400M + 9600M 512 MB, 4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM
I also have both systems and I must say the xBox fails to compete with the PS3 to me. A major influence in this decision is the fact that I'm tired of paying for xBox Live. You say you don't mind it, but keep this in mind when you make your purchase: Microsoft is upping the prices (starting Nov 1, 2010) to 1 Month Gold: $9.99, 3 Month Gold: $24.99, 12 Month Gold: $59.99.

And another factor in this decision is that my xBox is currently at Microsoft getting repaired for the second time in 1 year! It has been gone for 3 and a half weeks now, and do I expect Microsoft to reimburse me for this wasted month of xBox Live Gold? "Absolutely not."

PS3 wins on account of dependability, features, price, and aesthetics for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Depends what games you like.

I'm a big Gears of War fan, so the Xbox 360 is better for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I have both and have ultimately enjoyed the 360 more than the PS3. Like them both, but if I had to choose, I'd get a 360.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't own either but have family and friends who do. My take based on their input to me is...

If you are really interested in Blu-Ray, the PS3 is nice as you get both the game console and Blu-Ray player.

More important to me though is the games available. If the 360 has the Games you are after, then to me it's a no brainer. You can make me the best specced computer in the world, but if it will not do what I need/want it to do, it's worthless to me. I love certain games and would purchase the machine that would play those games.

Also you seem to favor the 360's controller. You can probably get an aftermarket controller though.

In the end, I like both machines. On the surface, I would prefer the PS3, but if none of the games I love to play are on the PS3, I would have to get the 360. Both to me are excellent systems though. I just like Sony's design and the Blu-Ray player is another nice touch.

Sorry for going on and on, but in the end, does it play what you want to play? To me that would be the deal breaker.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Depends what games you like.

I'm a big Gears of War fan, so the Xbox 360 is better for me.

Gears of War fan you say? I had this sixth sense sort of feeling that you were..;)

I've got a XBOX 360 as well..the premium..bought mine after my brother bought his so I could just borrow all of his games..and since then have enjoyed it nicely..especially the exclusives like Fable, Mass Effect and so on..though you'd get a nice blend if you buy both the PS3 and XBOX 360 since they each of nice exclusives..

Regards

OP
T
Reaction score
So when I get a xbox, does anybody want to play a round of Gears of War....or maybe shoot some zombies in Left 4 Dead

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
PS3, but I kind of like XboX live. >_>"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Got rid of my 360 and kept the PS3.

Do the fans on either one of them with the newer models not sound like a jet engine while doing anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
PS3 Vs Xbox360 Vs Wii.
Just fixed your typo.

can I put a good word in for the wii :|
Yes you can. People on this forum know I am a big Wii fan. But the original poster is not after a Wii and will not buy one even if it came with a lump of pure gold. No point preaching the Wii to those you know will never buy it.

And to answer the original poster. I would forget the consoles. And I'd look at the game roster. Just pick the console that has the games you like. Sure Xbox live is nice for multiplayer. But that is not a deal maker or breaker. Just pick the ones that has the games you like.

OP
T
Reaction score
PS3 Vs Xbox360 Vs Wii.
Just fixed your typo.

Yes you can. People on this forum know I am a big Wii fan. But the original poster is not after a Wii and will not buy one even if it came with a lump of pure gold. No point preaching the Wii to those you know will never buy it.

And to answer the original poster. I would forget the consoles. And I'd look at the game roster. Just pick the console that has the games you like. Sure Xbox live is nice for multiplayer. But that is not a deal maker or breaker. Just pick the ones that has the games you like.

I actually already have a Wii. It's an alright system, maybe if I had people over on a weekly basis, I would get better value out of the system.

For me, the Wii really is a system you play with people who are right there; e.g. Super Mario Bros - awesome game that I can beat but the replay value is in the multiplayer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.