• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How do I get this neulion streaming video in high quality?

Reaction score
There is a hockey tournament that is only being streamed online. As you can see on the page, it is "powered by neulion."

Here is the link. http://youngstars.insinc.com/ When I first watched it, and it was at about youtube quality, maybe a little bit higher, I figured that was just the way it was, maybe they weren't streaming it at a high enough bandwith. But, over the internet, I have corresponded with others who claim it is "TV quality" in full screen, great quality.

I had been viewing it with Safari, so I googled about how to get higher quality. A few things come up, which i have tried, with no success. I have downloaded the latest mac version of flash, flash 10.something. I have downloaded the browsers google chrome, opera, and firefox, and tried all of them, and none of them are any better video quality than safari was. I changed my flash settings so that the link I provided can save unlimited information on my computer. That did nothing, so I changed it back to it's original setting.

What do I need to do to get this to stream in TV quality? The game i want to watch starts in an hour, so if you can help by then, the sooner the better.

Also, maybe of note, I don't know if this stream uses quicktime or not, but I had a problem with an itunes movie rental the other night, and there was a tip online that said to throw out your quicktime player, empty the trash, and then re-download it. Since then, I've re-downloaded quicktime, and I get the installer, and i install it, and it says it needs to restart the computer after installing, and then once it reboots, quicktime is not installed. In other words, I can't get quicktime to install again. (Anyone know how I do that?) Still, I figure if quicktime had anything to do with this stream, it wouldn't work at all. It's working for me at around youtube quality. How do I get it to work at higher quality?

Thank you for your help.

OP
B
Reaction score
Please, does anyone have an answer for me? Game actually starts at 8:30 not 8, so i have 9 more minutes. Please, what can I do to make it in higher quality?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
deleted:

I bow to Nethfel's deeper research.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Doing a few minutes of research I found your problem - on Neulion's website in their FAQ:

Can I watch NeuLion Video on a Mac?
Currently the Mac OS is not supported because the media player does not properly support videos with multiple bitstreams. Most Mac computers display the video in a pixelated or distorted manner.

Their software design is geared for Windows Media Player. Although it will work on a Mac, it won't be as high a quality as it would for a Windows user.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. That's unfortunate...

What about my quicktime player problem? Why won't it re-install after I trashed it the other day? Is it something you have to pay for to get? What's up with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Where did you trash the app? Did you throw it out or just drag it off the dock?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.