Advice on hardware for potential switch

Reaction score
After growing tired of all the windows issues with software, i'm finally considering a move to the Mac. I run a small photography business, and do some graphic work on the side as well.... My question:
Since mac pro & large monitor are a bit pricey for me, I'm looking at a couple of options... The iMac, so I can have some screen size, or a MacBook pro, and getting a 27" monitor to connect to it.
Of these options, what advice or recommendations might seasoned Mac users have for a newby?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm always very very surprised when someone posts a question about which Macintosh to buy...and the choices are between an iMac and a Macbook Pro.

You REALLY need to decide if portability is important or not. If portability is important...then get the Macbook Pro...if portability is not important, then get the iMac.

You see when you have these two choices (Macbook Pro & an iMac)...and you eliminate one of the choices...it really makes the decision easy!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I see your point nick, I guess my question would be better put this way: I do want portability, but still want a large display in my office... is connecting the large monitor to the mac book pro favorable, for those who might have worked with it this way?
Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I see your point nick, I guess my question would be better put this way: I do want portability, but still want a large display in my office... is connecting the large monitor to the mac book pro favorable, for those who might have worked with it this way?
Thanks!

The Macbook Pro vs. iMac question comes up many times...that's why it's easy logic to narrow things down based on the portability parameter.

In case you didn't know...when it comes to desktops vs. laptops...you almost always get more computing power (for the same amount of money) when you purchase a desktop. So if you wanted to spend $1500-$1600 on a computer...more than likely the iMac for that amount of money will be more powerful (or have better specs) than a comparably priced Macbook Pro.

Regarding your question about the Macbook Pro & external monitor. There is absolutely no problems with this setup. If the portability of the laptop + the large external monitor fits all your needs...then this sounds like the setup for you. Generally speaking this is a more expensive setup than purchasing a large display iMac (depending on your Macbook Pro model choice)...but if your budget allows for it...go for it.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I run multiple MBP's with external monitors at my business and at home.. To me, it's the best of both worlds.

Though, I will say my wife uses a 27" iMac at home, and that thing is awesome!!! She neither needs nor has any desire whatsoever for mobility.

OP
C
Reaction score
That answers it completely... Both are important, so i know what i can do... So long Windows--Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
C-photo; said:
That answers it completely... Both are important, so i know what i can do... So long Windows--Thanks!

Enjoy!!

Reaction score
Just want to add that, if you already have a newer tv, you may be able to use that as your external display for the macbook pro, and thus no need to spend extra $$ on an external monitor if it's outside your budget (maybe an adapter from the mini-display port to your tv's connection type, that's about it). My gf connects her macbook to my 42" plasma and it works great.

And if you get the wireless keyboard and wireless trackpad, you can run your macbook pro in clamshell mode (closed) with only the external monitor (or your tv) being powered by the macbook pro, essentially turning your laptop into a desktop and your living room into your office, except that instead of an office chair you're comfortably lounging on the couch ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh man, that opens other possibilities as well... thanks for the tip! Never knew about that capability!

OP
C
Reaction score
it's the wierdest thing...I've had Dell PCs for 8 years now, and never have I gotten an out-of-the-blue call to see if I was happy with their products...

The DAY AFTER I post here about switching to Mac, I get a call from Dell asking if I'm satisfied with my machines, and to see if they're all working properly...LOL!! A little late, fellas...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.