Eject not working on OS X 10.6.4

Reaction score
I am aware that this is a common question, but the CD eject button on my keyboard does not function.

I am aware I am supposed to hold it down for it to work, I can hold it till the cows come home and it does not work.

I have also read you can do things such as Option + F12, or Option + ESC, or other combinations to open the CD drive. Nothing works.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.4 on a Quad-Core Xeon desktop.

If I go into the Hardware Profiler, I can see a disk burning utility:

"HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N:

Firmware Revision: PQ05
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh
"

Note that I do not get an eject icon popping up on the desktop when I hit eject. Neither can I find any desktop icon that represents the DVD drive.

Has anyone had issues with this? Perhaps the drive has failed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Couple of quick things,

I take it there is no disk in the drive... if there were trying to eject from finder.

If you reboot the system and hold down you mouse button will the CD/DVD eject?

These items would tell you if the drive is working or not. I think

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go through these options to eject the CD: LINK

If you've tried all those and none work, then perhaps the drive is not working right. Since you have a Mac Pro it should be fairly easy to remove the drive and eject the disk that way.

Not getting the eject symbol on the screen when pressing the eject key can also be an indication of hardware failure. You may be looking at replacing the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" macbook, 4th gen ipod touch
Also something you may want to try, is dragging the disc icon to the trash.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help folks. Well, I didn't know about the holding down the mouse while restarting. This worked, and after that now the eject button works again. How odd?

Must have been some odd software glitch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
The only problem I ever had with my Mac was ejecting a disc. Turns out the disc was cracked. I wound up having to download some utility to force eject.

Glad you got it fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Mine was having VmWare Fusion open. As soon as I closed that the DVD appeared. Thanks for the link chscag.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad it helped. One thing to remember is if you have a VM active - whether it's running in Parallels or Fusion - the VM software has control of the optical drive unless you specifically tell it not to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
If your still having trouble, restart/turn your computer on and hold the mouse/trackpad down after the first chime. This should force eject the disk.
- Kyle

Edit --
Sorry, this was already posted. Glad you got it out!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.