Office 2004 for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Is there a difference besides the "Student and Teacher Edition" and the "Standard Edition"? I'm just curious as to whether the reason it is so much cheaper is because they skimp on features.

On that note, does anyone know the differences between "Standard" and "Pro"?

Thanks.

E

enrigonz

WasabiTaylor said:
Is there a difference besides the "Student and Teacher Edition" and the "Standard Edition"? I'm just curious as to whether the reason it is so much cheaper is because they skimp on features.

On that note, does anyone know the differences between "Standard" and "Pro"?

Thanks.

Same difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook, 1.67GHz, 100GB HD, 1GB RAM, 128MB Video. 20GB iPod. 512MB iPod Shuffle. 80GB ipod
A little off topic, but relevant to the thread title:

I'm off to college this fall and I'm not sure if I need MS Office. Is iWork compatible enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
Gert Frobe said:
A little off topic, but relevant to the thread title:

I'm off to college this fall and I'm not sure if I need MS Office. Is iWork compatible enough?

Probably. If all you are doing with it is writing papers and stuff then that's no problem.

I noticed after I bought my first Mac as an office computer, and started using Office for Mac, that sometimes when I created a document, even in Office for Mac, that PC's didn't always recognize it and the computer had to be made to manuallyl open the file with MS-Office XP

You may find at some point that it will be helpful to have Office but you should be able to get some good academic pricing if you do and you school may even have a license that would allow you to get it for very little in deed.

I'd wait and see before you buy it, especially if you already have iWork.

You might look at Open Office as well. Its free and is supposed to work and play nice with other systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I use NeoOffice and really like it

B

Badger

WasabiTaylor said:

It's the same. They offer the education version at a lower price to promote the product. Then, when a student has more $$$ available they will buy what they know. However, there is no support given for the education version except for updates. Fortunately MS has done a much better job on recent versions of Office and it is much more reliable on the Mac than previously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
i have the student and teacher ed. and it works just fine. i also have iWork and Appleworks.

i did find that i can open a .doc in Pages and use it, but when i save it also as a .doc and then try to open it in Word it will be formatted all wrong. the margins were all crazy and so was the spacing. the reason i bring this up is when i was in college (many moons ago) i sometimes had to bring in a paper copy and a saved copy or reports. all my profs used Word so therefore i had to use word. so just be carefull if you are using another program besides Word to write things up. (my wife likes Pages too but it's compatibility with Word seems suspect so far, so we are wating a bit to try and tweak it before she will use Pages for anything)

Reaction score
When you go to OpenOffice to download the Mac version, it gives you a choice between Open Office and Neo Office. The latter is simpler to install (based on the description at the download page) and more of a native application. If you prefer compatibility with Open Office on other platforms, then you'd probably be better off with Open Office. If you prefer the Mac look and feel, then you'd probably be better off with NeoWin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.