Mail Server not deleting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
After I have moved e-mail from the Inbox to my personal files my ISP's Server thinks they are still there.

How can this be resolved?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm not really up on this subject that much, but my understanding is that if you're using pop, it will not delete from the server. You'll need to use an imap server and make sure your settings at the server are set up properly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Filed messages not deleted on server

Thanks for your suggestion. I think I've solved it.

Onetel uses a POP server but I went to Advanced in Preferences/Accounts and found that it is possible to have it removed by choosing "When moved from Inbox" under the heading 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for your suggestion. I think I've solved it.

Onetel uses a POP server but I went to Advanced in Preferences/Accounts and found that it is possible to have it removed by choosing "When moved from Inbox" under the heading 'Remove copy from server after retrieving a message'.

Be careful with that setting.... I have found that there are times I accidentally deleted email from my mail box on the Mac. The easiest way to get them back is from the server which keeps them stored. (Depends on your ISP as to how long they'll retain them.)

I always advise users not to choose the option of removing the mail message from the server after it's downloaded for the very reason I gave above. It's much easier to just access the server every so often and delete them manually when you feel they're no longer needed. However, if your Time Machine backups are up to date, keeping them on the server might not be necessary.

Of course it's your choice. :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.