Help removing a program from a Mac

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

We bought a reconditioned eMac G4 for $99 to use as a second computer. How can I go about removing some software from it, specifically Verizon's DSL setup program? To make a long story short, I could not connect to the internet and installed the software. Figured out the problem and now I want to remove it. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forum.

Did the software come with an uninstaller? If so use that, use an application such as AppTrap, which is freeware, or simply drag to trash as a third option.

C

chas_m

Having the previous owner's software on the machine is a security risk to them and/or to you. Really really bad idea.

Presuming you don't have the restore discs, locate a retail copy of the OS version you want to use (I'd recommend Tiger for that model) and an appropriate version of iLife (iLife 06 should do), buy them, backup whatever personal stuff you have, WIPE (as in zero out) the hard drive, install the new OS and iLife, then restore back your personal account and carry on.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks harryb. I guess I'm still stuck in Windows mode. I thought there was a program menu to install/uninstall software like a pc. Still feeling my way around.

OP
Reaction score
Hi chas_m,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. I bought the Mac from a reputable, Apple-authorized re-seller. It came completely clean (with Tiger, by the way). Due to my frustration at not being able to establish an internet connection, as a last resort I installed the software that Verizon sent to us as part of our start-up kit. Found out then that I didn't need to install it, now I'm trying to find out how to remove it. I will try harryb's suggestion and just drag it to the trash. I will also follow your recommendation and pick up a copy of the Tiger disk and probably iLife too. Thanks for your response.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it came with an uninstaller, you would be much better off using that. If it has one and you don't use it, you'll likely run into trouble at some point. What was the software you installed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If it came with an uninstaller, you would be much better off using that.?

Due to my frustration at not being able to establish an internet connection, as a last resort I installed the software that Verizon sent to us as part of our start-up kit. ... I will also follow your recommendation and pick up a copy of the Tiger disk and probably iLife too.

Good advice above, but I'd be surprised if Verizon included an Uninstaller. Tiger might be hard to find. Don't buy a grey colored disc with no graphic on it. You need a "retail" version, which will have a large "X" on it and evidence of graphic design. Such discs were black for Leopard, and I think Tiger as well. The gray ones will only install on a certain model of Mac. If you get one that isn't for your eMac (very likely) it will be worthless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.