ABS Resets on me randomly.....

J

jeXus

Okay, I have been dealing with this problem for almost a year now. I have been on the phones with technicians from apple long enough to know there names, home addresses, & families. (I just realized I'm such an exaggerator).

Anyway, I go out and drop 200 dollars on an Apple brand Wireless Router to support Apple and plus I loved the look. I go home hook this thing up boom bang bing...Im up and running with internet and the works.....

That week I'm online I notice I lose connection. I'm like hhhmmm..... what's the deal? I get myself back up and running and continue. Again! I lose connection.

Make an extremely LONG story short. I get on the phone with Apple speaking with the highest level support they have. They can't figure out what is making my ABS reset itself. They have shipped me 2 different ABS's and still I get the same problem. I did some research on this issue and found out others are experiencing the same random disconnects. I have played with every setting in the ABS. Reduced its signal, changed its encryption...everything! Nothing helps. I ended up getting pissed off after a year of this and went out and bought myself a hub and connected my G5 to it so it wouldn't lose connection anymore (thats the computer I work on) then hooked up the router to the hub for my Ibook (the computer my G/f works on). Hehe..I hate dealing with disconnects. Anyway I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this before and maybe has the solution? If you need anymore specific info let me know. Be happy to get into detail.

OP
B

badmojo

This same problem just started happening with me, after the 10.4.2 update. It may have happened once before the update, but happens all the time now. Once per 1/2 hour, I'd say. I do not use an ABS, just a simple router 802.11G. I think my problem is in my airport card because my wife's WIn XP laptop stays connected just fine.

Right now I'm using WPA encryption and that's when the problems started happening. With WEP this never happened at all. Could be your Airport card that's disconnecting and the router's just fine.

OP
B

badmojo

I just did a permission repair and that seems to have helped. No disconnects for an hour or so.

OP
J

jeXus

badmojo said:
This same problem just started happening with me, after the 10.4.2 update. It may have happened once before the update, but happens all the time now. Once per 1/2 hour, I'd say. I do not use an ABS, just a simple router 802.11G. I think my problem is in my airport card because my wife's WIn XP laptop stays connected just fine.

Right now I'm using WPA encryption and that's when the problems started happening. With WEP this never happened at all. Could be your Airport card that's disconnecting and the router's just fine.

Well I thought about that and connected a WIN PC computer to it hardwired to see what would happen. Same thing. All computers MAC and PC hardwired or wireless would all disconnect. Whether an airport card is causing it that may be the case but I dont know for sure. I go to the airport manager where you can see your ABS and when this happens mine is missing. Then it eventually pops back up and im good to go. Its sooo wierd!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.