• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

9.4 Gb Dvd-r

J

Jackalkhan

Howdy,
I recently got a powerbook G4 with a superdrive. And using the tutorial on this forum, I backed up my copy of Donnie Darko.
Unfortunately my DVD-R is only 4.7GB so I could only backup the movie and none of the extras.
So I've been searching for higher capacity DVD-R's that are reasonably priced and came across this:
tp://shop.store.yahoo.com/cdrdvdrmedia/accu-dvd-r-media-94.html (outdated link removed)
9.4GB double-sided DVD-R. Now does this mean that there is still only 4.7GB per side, still making it impossible
to backup the entire dvd content? Though It would be cool to have 2 separate movies on opposite sides of the same DVD-R but thats not what I'm looking for. I want to back up the whole DVD, extras and all.
Does anyone now of decent priced 9.4GB single sided DVD-R's ?

thanks
-jackalkhan

OP
S

silentraven

Get DVD2oneX...it'll take larger DVDs and make them fit onto a 4.7GB DVD...there is some loss...but i didn't notice it in the DVD i did.
BTW, it has to be ripped to the HD first...for that i use DVDBackup...

Hope that helps

OP
J

Jackalkhan

silentraven said:
Get DVD2oneX...it'll take larger DVDs and make them fit onto a 4.7GB DVD...there is some loss...but i didn't notice it in the DVD i did.
BTW, it has to be ripped to the HD first...for that i use DVDBackup...

Hope that helps

Hmm. I used DVD2oneX. Bought the full version and all that. And I use DVDBackup to rip it to the hard drive.
I'll have to play around with it some more.
Is there a setting in DVD2one that sets the compression to make it fit to 4.7GB?
Thanks
- Jackalkhan

OP
C

ckny

sometimes dvd2onex doesn't compress it enough. for example, my copy of the hulk wouldn't fit on one dvd with all the extras. lotr - two towers did though. odd huh?

OP
T

The Dragon

set the size manualy to for example 4450 witch is 22 mb less about 0,5 % smaller then 4472 sand thaat will work just fine.
Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.