stuped question, disk images

M

mr..nemo

after downloading a desktop disk image file, the disk image appeares on my desktop, i then draged this into my applications folder, and ejected the disk image on my desktop..

although in my applications folder the pic of this application has a little arow in the bottom left hand courner like the attached pic, indecating that the pic in the applications folder is a shortcut?

have i done this correctly, i dont feel i have because the file should be the original and not a shortcut, becaure where is it shortcutting to??

test.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Open the disk image and drag the item inside the disk image to your hard disk. Then eject the image.

OP
M

mr..nemo

ohh i understand so not the folder just the contense, ok also will macjanitor which repear disk permissions, or will this have to be done manualy.

OP
F

Fallooza

mr..nemo said:
ohh i understand so not the folder just the contense, ok also will macjanitor which repear disk permissions, or will this have to be done manualy.
manualy, but its easy! applications>utilitys>disk utility>select HD>repear disk permissions>done yaaya

OP
M

mr..nemo

simple, i might need to do one of them since i havent done one since ive brouht the mac and ive added about 2000 photos 1000 songs and 5apps

OP
D

dackerman

mr..nemo said:
simple, i might need to do one of them since i havent done one since ive brouht the mac and ive added about 2000 photos 1000 songs and 5apps

It can never hurt to do Repair Permissions. I do it basically every day.

OP
J

jeXus

dackerman said:
It can never hurt to do Repair Permissions. I do it basically every day.

What exaclty does it do? Repairing permissions that is. I have never used this function. Is it similar to a defrag or something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Every file on the system has permissions for users and the super user (read/write/access/edit etc) and everyonce and a while a permission will be screwed up. Repairing permissions makes sure that you have access to everything you are supposed to have access to, that you can't change things you shouldn't be changing, and that the super user has all of its rights

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.