**Personal top 5 reasons to switch to Mac**

J

jiva

I'm having trouble getting away from how cheap a PC is...my friend says he
can build me one for next to nothing with high end parts. (cards, drives, etc.)

It would help me greatly if you guys could educate me.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PB G4
Mine isn't even done shipping yet, but here were my reasons:

1. STABLE! I video edit and my high end PC ($2000 US) was still not stable enough. Windows just is not good for multimedia. Thats why pros use Apple for multimedia and stuff. I also record using Tracktion 2. This should count as the first 5 reasons actually. But whatever.

2. Interface is great. I've used them alot at school for my video production class. It is so simple and yet powerfull and capable. It just works.

3.The laptops are light and sleek and portable. Plus built in wireless.

4.They've FOOKIN SWEET PLUS WICKED AWSOME AESTHETICS! You have to admit. They look like the ****. Such good design.

5. Everything fits together more than PCs. And the OS is tailored exactly to the hardware. PCs are just a bunch of crap stuck together.

6. They're just...cool?

Thats it. I mainly bought it cause they're so stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Sure you can throw the best parts money can buy into a system - at the end of the day you'll still be running windows.. (or linux), which doesn't compare to OS X.

1. Security: Imagine surfing the web and opening anything you want without worrying about viruses, spyware, adware and other assorted crap.

2. Integration: Everything works straight away, no downloading driver xyz, no hassle.

3. System durability: You can run the same OS X installation for years and years without it getting crusty and slow. Windows needs a format and installation every so often in my experience.

4. Simplicity: Don't like an application? Drag it to the trash. No uninstaller, no dead entries in the add/remove programs dialogue, no leftover garbage in the registry.

5. Elegance: This is a system you enjoy using, you don't have to fight it to get it to do things the way you want...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 1.33/512/80GB - Macbook 1.83/CD/2GBs ram.
Aptmunich said:
Sure you can throw the best parts money can buy into a system - at the end of the day you'll still be running windows.. (or linux), which doesn't compare to OS X.

1. Security: Imagine surfing the web and opening anything you want without worrying about viruses, spyware, adware and other assorted crap.

2. Integration: Everything works straight away, no downloading driver xyz, no hassle.

3. System durability: You can run the same OS X installation for years and years without it getting crusty and slow. Windows needs a format and installation every so often in my experience.

4. Simplicity: Don't like an application? Drag it to the trash. No uninstaller, no dead entries in the add/remove programs dialogue, no leftover garbage in the registry.

5. Elegance: This is a system you enjoy using, you don't have to fight it to get it to do things the way you want...

I couldn't have said it better my self. =]

Reaction score
Those reasons are reason enough, and it's hard to explain but they just feel better.. Programs open faster, plus I know I have the best built machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
1. It looks so much sweeter than a windows box.
2. In my experience, it runs the same programs faster and more efficiently.
3. It rarely crashes or hangs (all computers hang sometimes - even macs;))
4. Learning OSX is a fun experience, and keeps surprising you with cool new features.
5. A relatively old Mac - like mine - can still provide enough oomph to do the things I want to do with it.

Ok, I've got to add another :

6. When I had my Thinkpad, I never, ever got girls saying 'Oooh, that looks nice!'. With my iBook, I get it all the time. Admittedly I get guys laughing at me sometimes, but I'd rather be impressing the lay-deez than the fellas ;)

OP
J

jeXus

Aptmunich said:

/signed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
1 Security-NO viruses or worms or anything like that!
2 Hardware-apple uses pretty good hardware
3 Easy to use-plug in your new mac and within a few monthes of using it you'll be able to do many more things than you ever expected
4 Applications-many audio, video and photo editing appl;ications were designed specifically to run on macs- and they run beautifully
5 Support-there are a billion trillion things that can go wrong with a pc- and you can't always get help for it, for macs there are websites such as this one that will givev you an answer to most problems in minutes, and theres always apple to call

OP
B

BrianH

math said:
1. It looks so much sweeter than a windows box.

6. When I had my Thinkpad, I never, ever got girls saying 'Oooh, that looks nice!'. With my iBook, I get it all the time. Admittedly I get guys laughing at me sometimes, but I'd rather be impressing the lay-deez than the fellas ;)

QFT..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I think the reasons have been summed up pretty well..... one side point I will make:

Even if you do decide to go PC... Don't let him build you a PC out of spare parts. I almost blew a friendship over this years ago but to this day I am still glad I took that risk. Hash together machines may be the statistically fastest and the cheapest but are rarely stable or reliable in my expirience. HP, Sony, Toshiba... They all select, test and integrate their parts to ensure they work together as flawlessly as possible. They don't reach the Apple level of quality just because they still have to run Windows... But my friend finally came back and admitted I was right after his hash machine completely died (after months of flaky operation)... and my HP has yet to see the blue screen of death.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Coming from 20 years of computer experience, starting out on an IBM mainframe then going to SunOS 3/50 workstations -> MSDOS microcomputers -> Windows 95/NT/2000/XP -> FreeBSD -> Linux, and ending up with my personal computer now being a Mac here are my personal top 5. Note that for the job I still am 'stuck' with Windows and Linux.

5. Always wanted a NeXT when they came out, but they were too friggin' expensive and there wasn't any software for them. Now I have one, with software.

4. Unix underlying OS with GUI done right. Can't live without the command line, don't need to live without it. In fact in a lot of ways the command line works more like the command line of old than my old Linux box or my cygwin'd Windows machines. The GUI has had a lot of thought put into it and it shows.

3. Immunity to virus/spyware. Had this with Linux too, but I have more multimedia options available.

2. Apple finally introduced a reasonably priced computer that I could afford. Not that their products aren't 'worth it', but to justify a new computer in the family budget between the existance of current hardware I own and high mac prices, it wouldn't have happened otherwise. I'm glad it did.

And the number one reason I switched to a Mac:

1. Got tired of always working on my own computers. Everything else I have was built by me, whether it be my wife's Athlon running XP, or my old workstation running Red Hat I selected and assembled all the parts, installed the software, tweaked the OS to my liking, etc. I do that for a living and I got tired of doing it for myself. I knew if I bought a Mac I would just plug it in, type a few bits about myself, and I'd be up and running. Wanna install a new program? Insert CD and drag to applications. Watch a video? Click the link and either quicktime or MS anti-competia player will play it. Listen to music? Quicktime or iTunes will come in and do it for me. Photoshop my digital pictures? Er, uh Photoshop for my Mac works great. I have Photoshop for Windows which I got working on Linux via a commercial implementation of Wine, but with the Mac version I get other goodies, like my graphics tablet and scanner 'just work'. To get them to 'work' on Linux I had to 'tweak' and even then it wasn't perfect. Got tired of that. Wife uses the Windows version of Photoshop now.

You will note that these reasons I have given are quite personal to me, so your mileage may vary.

OP
J

jeXus

When I first made the switch I had purchased a black/translucent Imac. I bought it from Sear at the time for around 600. I hooked it up and loved it. Thought it was great. Then I ran into one problem...I couldn't communicate with the millions of users using PC (there was no way for me to send or receive a .doc). I returned it and waited a bit longer to make the switch again. After a while a heard that MS Office was now available for MAC so I did some research found out it was and bought an IMAC off EBAY (similar to the first one i had but blue in color). At this point there was so much software available I didn't have any problems sending file or document to windows users. I used that for a bit. Then it was too slow for me. I wanted MAC and I wanted faster (for video editing) I went out and bought a G5 system dual 1.8s, with an ATI 128mb Card (soon switch it out for the NVidia 6800) and I have upgraded the ram (put in 2gigs) Now I have 2.5 gigs in there. The machine is a BEAST!! I hardly ever even turn it off. Only time I ever need a reboot is when I update the OS (by the way 10.4.2 is out) It is STABLE. I would have to reboot my PC every so often after gaming or using 3d intensive apps. My G5 never needs a reboot or crashes out on me randomly. I never get blue screens anymore (although to be fair I stopped getting them on XP as well.Finally M$ built an ok OS but it still has nothing on OS X) I wouldnt give up my system for any winbox. :)

OP
D

Darth_Sandwich

Well, here are my reasons:

1.) I work in IT. My computer, therefore, has to be up and available *all the time*, I can't afford to be without it. Since I'm so closely tied to it, I ran my Windows XP install lean and slim - and because I put so much effort into keeping it happy, my WinXP has been just as rock-solid as anything else out there (including, in my opinion, OSX). However, I got real tired of the rather large amount of upkeep I had to do with my Windows system - I realise I'll have to do some for my Powerbook, I don't envision it being anywhere near as much.

2.) My old Windows notebook (A Sager NP5680, if you must know), weighted a bajillion pounds. It was designed for the gamer, so I can't really fault it for not being super-portable, but I needed one I could haul around and the Powerbook fit that perfectly.

3.) The feature set of the Powerbook - and OSX - is absolutely phenomenal. I'm thrilled with all the little extras because I actually use a lot of them. Does it make me more productive? Not really, and in fact playing with Expose probably makes me a little less so (because I'll use the hotcorner just to watch the animation), but I really feel there is a higher inherent value here.

4.) The absolute *lack* of having to futz with the machine out of the box. I didn't have to spend hours reconfiguring menus, removing the garbage that comes with a pre-built system (or the endless tweaking with a homebrew), or anything. I just entered a few bits of information and was off and running.

5.) The construction of my Powerbook feels much more solid than any other machine I've owned. The fit, finish and quality of materials and worksmanship seems simply beyond reproach. Unlike some other machines I've purchased, the Powerbook simply *feels* like it was worth the (admittedly quite high) price.

Of course, these are all highly personal reasons, and your mileage may vary. Unlike many "switchers," I feel no particular animosity towards the Windows side of things - I kept my Windows install up and it never, ever annoyed me. The hard crashes I had I can count on the fingers of one hand over the past two years. I only formatted it once, and that wasn't out of necessity, it was to create an OS and data partition for easier backups. I feel that OSX and Windows are equally good means to an end, but that you will have to do more work with Windows, but the payoff is that compatibility is easier. OSX is catching up fast, but let's face it, there are some things you just can't do (easily) on a Mac, which is why I still *have* my old Windows notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
garageband,ilfe, and iwork are great easy to use programs that only run on macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
1) stable
2) no viruses/spyware
3)looks cool
4)no crap
5) easy (apple + <letter>)
6) got sick of windows slowness especialy when all i want to do it just surf the web
7) i think different :batman: =P
8) my school has it so i can just ask them for some programs (i hope the give me some.. or else..)
9)they come with great security (file valult)
10) CONSTANT feautures and lovely upgrades (which when i was on windows i checked for updates and there was literally NONE)
11) wait.. just ten right? ok

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
and my reasons...
Final Cut Pro
Shake
Carrara.. its available on pc too, but I like it better on Mac
Motion
DVD Studio Pro

Reaction score
stickies
itunes
isync
the dock/expose
stickies (i just love them)

oh yeah and networking made easy

OP
L

linmacs

I switched to Mac from Linux at work. Like some other posters I work in IT and have been in the field for quite some time (since 1981). I have Linux and Windows serviers in my office and I use a Mac to control both of them (as of last week).
Reasons:
1) Compatibility
2) Security
3) Ease of Use
4) Stability (built on Unix)
5) The coolness factor of having a 17" powerbook G4 and a 30" monitor on my desk!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.