I am going to switch.... but when???

R

raziael

A fellow that I work with has a Powerbook G4 that I've fallen in love with. I've always like Mac's ability to make things for the user, and I love the current OS.

My question is, should I wait for the next gen Powerbook or should I get a G4?

The primary use for this laptop will be for display of photos for customers in my mobile studio.

Down the road I would like to use it for editing photos and video.

I'm very curious as to where Mac is going with the change to Intel. I was very ready to buy a G4, now I'm wondering if I should wait and see what happens :headphone

Thanks for any input!!!

peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
Re "Where Mac is going" Mac is switching processor chips to intel x86 chip from the current powerpc chip. Search the forum, there are many discussions on this. I would also recommend watching the qtime wwdc conference on apple.com to give you an idea of what the plans are for apple..

Should I wait or should I buy seems to be the main question at the present and I think thats really a personal choice, however, I would go ahead and buy because you can upgrade at a later date when all the issues have been ironed out with the new processor. All software will be compatible with the new chip and current chip so I guess there is no reason to wait on these grounds. If you get enough ram in your PB then it will handle 99% of anything you can throw at it very well and will remain stable throughout..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I was literally just about to call my campus store to put in an order for a Mac when I saw the news about the Intel switch the day it was announced and it gave me pause for a couple of weeks before I made a move.

After taking the different opinions into account I decided that it would be a couple of years before I felt comfortable investing in the new Intel versions (including the time before they even launch any of them) and by that time, most likely I'd be looking around for an upgrade anyway.

So...I went ahead and bought a refurbished current model G4 Powerbook from Apple and I'm very glad I did. No regrets and I've no doubt that my next computer will also be a Mac....unless they turn the Intel thing into a right kerfuffle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.