• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Provides us with a Peek at Spirals, a new iTunes UI Feature

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Now they are just trying to hypnotize us. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Eye candy sells.

Reaction score
Interesting.

Although, if this is meant as a replacement, and not an alternative, to Cover Flow, I fail to see how this would work on touch screens- but Steve Jobs on the other hand though...

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Although, if this is meant as a replacement, and not an alternative, to Cover Flow, I fail to see how this would work on touch screens- but Steve Jobs on the other hand though...

That would easily work on touch screens. Each box in the spiral would be touch sensitive. So you want a reggae song you press the reggae box in the spiral. Then on the next spiral you touch the artist box you want, say for example Bob Marley. Then in the 3rd spiral you pick the Bob Marley album/song box you want by touching it. So in short it's a lot like the old click wheel ipods where you picked the artist then the album then the song. But instead of 3 ipod screens you have 3 or so touch screen spirals to navigate.

Also with multi-touch gestures you could move the spiral inwards or outwards (a little like how time machine works, but in this case a spiral going into the distance). And moving the spiral inwards or outwards would allow you to access more artists or albums or whatever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ehh... color me uninterested/unimpressed.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in action but this doesn't look like it would be very useful for large collections. I'm not even sure about use on portable devices. if most of the space on my iPad were music this might become cumbersome.

Reaction score
That would easily work on touch screens. Each box in the spiral would be touch sensitive. So you want a reggae song you press the reggae box in the spiral. Then on the next spiral you touch the artist box you want, say for example Bob Marley. Then in the 3rd spiral you pick the Bob Marley album/song box you want by touching it. So in short it's a lot like the old click wheel ipods where you picked the artist then the album then the song. But instead of 3 ipod screens you have 3 or so touch screen spirals to navigate.

Also with multi-touch gestures you could move the spiral inwards or outwards (a little like how time machine works, but in this case a spiral going into the distance). And moving the spiral inwards or outwards would allow you to access more artists or albums or whatever.

Good point.

I like Coverflow. It allows me to see my music as if it were (sort of) in a jukebox. And we all know how cool jukeboxes are. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I think it will be used solely on the Ipod Classic. I think the spiral will fit well with the click wheel on the classic. I don't know how well it would work on a touchscreen device or a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
Meh, just a gimmick IMO.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think it will be used solely on the Ipod Classic. I think the spiral will fit well with the click wheel on the classic. I don't know how well it would work on a touchscreen device or a Mac.

Read up. I explained exactly how this can be used for a touch screen device. And personally I think this idea is tailored towards the touch screen market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Read up. I explained exactly how this can be used for a touch screen device. And personally I think this idea is tailored towards the touch screen market.

I read your comment before posting. I never said it couldn't work I just said I don't know how well it would work on a touch device or a Mac. I could see it working well with the click wheel though.

Personally I don't see spiral being an improvement over coverflow for touch based systems. For instance if you look at the spiral the icons get smaller making it difficult for touch. For something to be touch friendly the icons you click should all be a uniform size and shouldn't get smaller like they do on the spiral UI. Just my opinion though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.