Slow Problem...

Reaction score
Can anyone please help?

I have recently jumped ship from Windows to Apple and bought a new iMac. I have owned it now for about a month. I have just recently noticed already that it seems to be a bit slow and sluggish at opening some apps. A glaring example is iTunes. I will click on iTunes in the dock and where it should open within seconds, the little icon will bounce up and down for a lot longer until the little white light comes on beneath it, then there is still quite a wait, up to 20-30 seconds before the actual app opens up. I have found that going into Disc Utility and optimising the hard drive by clicking on Verify Disc Permissions, then restarting will cure the problem for a while, but it soon starts to slow again. Is there another setting that I should try? Any advice would be most appreciated indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Ok dl either OYNX or MainMenu and run the scripts within. I use MainMenu and i run all scripts except Spotlight Reindex and Remove all .DS Store_Files I believe there is similar in Oynx. If you dl Oynx make sure that you get the one for your OS .... PARAMOUNT .

Running either of these Apps clean alot deeper than the RepairPermissions so could be just the thing it needs. Being only a month old though, there could be deeper underlying problems. Besure to post back on the progress if problem still exists as we can only root it out one solution at once

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
How much hard drive space to you have free, and how big is the capacity of your hard drive? Unlike NTFS, HFS+ really wants you to have about 15-20% of your total disk space free to use for system cache, etc.

C

chas_m

The 15-20% thing is a canard, but for practical purposes (like disc burning and virtual RAM) you really do want to keep at least 12-20GB free at a minimum for best performance.

With a new machine I don't really think this is the issue with the OP but it's worth mentioning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.