Best way to uninstall a program with no uninstaller?

Reaction score
I'd like to uninstall a program, but it has no uninstaller. A friend told me that I could uninstall a program just by dragging it to the trash. Is this how I should do it or is there a better way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Reaction score
Bear in mind not all Mac OS X apps will uninstall in that method. Certain programs (like Microsoft Office for Mac) come with an uninstaller.

And if you're a little uncomfortable with the dragging to trash method, there are programs available that will do the same thing for you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Without the uninstaller, you might get do a little better job uninstalling an app using something like AppCleaner, but it might still not get rid of all remnants of the program..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Without the uninstaller, you might get do a little better job uninstalling an app using something like AppCleaner, but it might still not get rid of all remnants of the program..
Regards

I use AppCleaner and I like it. Seems to get all of the files associated with the app I'm removing, and if it doesn't, it sure feels like it does. It's a nice free app removing app compared to paying $30+ for another app of that type.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I use AppCleaner and I like it. Seems to get all of the files associated with the app I'm removing, and if it doesn't, it sure feels like it does. It's a nice free app removing app compared to paying $30+ for another app of that type.

Well the files associated with the app that are normally not removed if you simply drag the app to the trash are .plist files which are simply used for the settings of the application. Therefore leaving it on your computer wouldn't really harm your system in any way. It wouldn't slow down your mac or anything either…all it would do is use up a bit of space, not much though. hardly anything in fact…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And adding to the others, i found Apptrap a great little app, bc once installed it works like the others, but it sits in System Preferences and is always open. When you drag to the trash it trashes all other associated files/folders with those Apps. And so far 100% strike rate at getting everything. It will prompt you before just to double check.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And further to what my mate tattooed says - it is freeware!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd like to uninstall a program, but it has no uninstaller. A friend told me that I could uninstall a program just by dragging it to the trash. Is this how I should do it or is there a better way?

Unless the App in question comes with an uninstaller, that is the preferred method. This isn't Windows, don't treat it like it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.