Simple ICS

C

casey

I have a Powerbook running Jaguar and an Airport card. I have a wintel running XP connected to hi speed internet.

What is the easiest way of connecting my Mac to the internet ?

1) A USB wireless and Internet Connection Sharing on my XP

2) A wireless router

3) Something else :)

KC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Wirelss router. Simple, fast, and it works. Making a wireless network with a dongle and an Airport card would probably work, but it would most likely be real slow. A router is probably cheaper than a USB dongle too.

I have a Linksys router and a couple Linksys access points. I've had no real problems with mine. I'm sure others can recommend other brands that you can choose from.

Use this one to support 802.11G&B stuff : http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299891&csearch=&cmid=&pfp=srch1. A little more expensive, but will give you highspeed if you have an AirPort Extreme card.

Use this one for only 802.11B : http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=282388&csearch=&cmid=&pfp=srch1. It is cheaper, and will work with pretty much any card on the market, except 802.11A ( which I haven't seen in a long time ).

The 802.11B only one is half the price of the one that supports 802.11G. If money is an issue, there is no choice here. Get the 802.11B model. If money is no object get the one that supports both 802.11B AND 802.11G.

All of the USB dongles are AT LEAST $30, so I would spend the extra dough and get a router, you will be much happier in the long run...

Hope this helps.

OP
C

casey

Emrys said:
Wirelss router. Simple, fast, and it works. Making a wireless network with a dongle and an Airport card would probably work, but it would most likely be real slow. A router is probably cheaper than a USB dongle too.

<snip>
Hope this helps.

Yes, this helps a lot. Thank you. I am glad you are suggesting a router. On my other network, I have Network Everywhere (cheaper Lynksys) and it works great. The reason for my question is the big unknown for me, MAC.

KC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yeah that kinda freaks out a lot of new Mac users. A network is computer independent. If you have an ethernet card in your watch, you can make use of a router :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.