Corel Paintshop Replacement

Reaction score
I'm noob but have searched this forum and don't believe there has been another topic on this subject since 2008 so here goes and hope I don't incur the wrath of forum veterans! O:)

In my professional life I am forced to still use PeeCee, however at home we made a life choice to be Apple through and through. The only thing I miss in MacLand is a PaintShop equivalent. I have tried using SeaShore but it isn't great.

I only used basic features of PS v.7-10 so not looking to shell out on PhotoShop.

So recommendations would be appreciated for a paid app and a free/shareware app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
I'm noob but have searched this forum and don't believe there has been another topic on this subject since 2008 so here goes and hope I don't incur the wrath of forum veterans! O:)

In my professional life I am forced to still use PeeCee, however at home we made a life choice to be Apple through and through. The only thing I miss in MacLand is a PaintShop equivalent. I have tried using SeaShore but it isn't great.

I only used basic features of PS v.7-10 so not looking to shell out on PhotoShop.

So recommendations would be appreciated for a paid app and a free/shareware app.

SimesH,

You don't actually state what you were using Paint Shop for which would help in identifying a suitable replacement. I am a recent convert to the Mac world after 25 years of using PCs. On the PC I used Paint Shop, most recently the Pro Photo X2 version, to manipulate my photos. When I moved to a MBP I chose Aperture 3 and Pixelmator as my primary photographic tools.

Mark

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply;

I guess it is more of the paint features that I need to be able to annotate and title, do watermarks, that sort of thing.

Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Thanks for the reply;

I guess it is more of the paint features that I need to be able to annotate and title, do watermarks, that sort of thing.

Simon

Simon,

You should check out Pixelmator then and see if it meets your needs. You can download a trial version to play with. The interface takes a little getting used to but soon it becomes familiar and intuitive. The website also has great tutorials and videos on the various features.

Pixelmator is about 60% of the price of the current version of Paint Shop and should do what you want. There are other programs out there that may be cheaper, but the features you get with Pixelmator rival programs that cost 2-3 times as much. Good luck.

Mark

Reaction score
PS Elements

I agree. Photoshop Elements should do everything you need to do and more. Very affordable, and pretty user friendly. It would take a little while to get used to, however I'm sure you would pick it up very quick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.