• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Offers Only 256 MB of RAM

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reaction score
How much did the old 3rd gen iPod touch have? The second gen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm sure Steve knows whats best. If you needed more RAM, Steve would have included it. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
iPod Touch ram quantities are:

1st and 2nd gen had 128m.

3rd and I guess now 4th have 256m

kind of a bummer that they didn't up the ram to 512 in the 4th gen

Reaction score
iPod Touch ram quantities are:

1st and 2nd gen had 128m.

3rd and I guess now 4th have 256m

kind of a bummer that they didn't up the ram to 512 in the 4th gen

Well..the CPU is faster at the least. I could tell the differences using iOS 3 on all three generation devices (pre-4th gen iPod touch). Now though…well…I'm sure the new one feels faster in hand. Maybe there'll be a silent RAM update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
The iPhone is subsidized so it can get better internals while keeping the cost down. No one subsidizes the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Makes sense really .....

Cheers

Reaction score
It just means somewhat less multitasking capability?

More or less. The CPU is much faster than previous iPod touch generations (well, not THAT much faster), however, I would say that if you use a few apps daily and leave those running in the background, you should be good without problems. iOS 4 is greatly designed for this.

Reaction score
Now if it were me with the new iPod touch, (which I use in classes for writing down assignments and making dates in Calendar- which I say they should call iCal), I'd rather just leave the multitasking left alone until I need it. I don't want the device to die in my pocket in between classes, especially considering that I don't always bring my MacBook into class.

But that's another story for another day...

Reaction score
More or less. The CPU is much faster than previous iPod touch generations (well, not THAT much faster), however, I would say that if you use a few apps daily and leave those running in the background, you should be good without problems. iOS 4 is greatly designed for this.

Okay…and how much does the iPhone 4 require for memory for phone related functions that the new Touch won't require?

Reaction score
Okay…and how much does the iPhone 4 require for memory for phone related functions that the new Touch won't require?

The current iPhone 4 has half a gig of RAM. Considering that the phone app doesn't stay running (but SMS might- I'm not an avid iPhone user), you still shouldn't worry about it a whole lot.

Reaction score
The current iPhone 4 has half a gig of RAM.

Yes I know and the new Touch has 1/2 of that. But some of the "extra" ram gets tied up for phone related functions and apps that would obviously not be needed for the Touch. That's my point, it may be just fine as-is.

Reaction score
Yes I know and the new Touch has 1/2 of that. But some of the "extra" ram gets tied up for phone related functions and apps that would obviously not be needed for the Touch. That's my point, it may be just fine as-is.

Its kind of funny that the part of the post that you did not quote addressed that issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
You consider that addressing the issue?

The phone portion takes up very little RAM. Consider how much ram the original iPhone had, or even the 3G. Even still, 'backgrounded' apps aren't technically 'running', so 256 MB of RAM is plenty. Stop worrying about it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My old imac when I got it has only 256 MB of ram in it. And it ran 10.3 just wonderfully. I even did some Photoshop CS work on it and it ran just fine. And I am sure that if 10.3 runs fine on 265 MB then iOS will too.

But . . . some people here are missing the point. iOS is a little like 10.6 in the way of system optimisation. iOS is designed for low power and low RAM devices. Technology is moving on much slower then it was in the past. Gone are the days of every year the amount of ram/HD space if computers doubling. The new wave of technology we are seeing is not about bigger numbers like in the past. Today it's all about using what we do haver much more efficiently.

So today you can do a lot more with 256MB ram then you could in 2000. So is 265MB enough for the touch? Apple seems to think so. And I somehow think they know better then most of we do. Even with Apple's sales tactic of holding back product features to slowly implement them and not implement them all at once I still agree with Apple. At the moment it's better to use the 265MB much more efficiently then it is to have 512 MB. Unless you want to pay unsubsidised iphone like prices (around the $700-$1000 mark in Australia) for the touch too.

So in short 512MB would have been nice but meh 256MB will do us all just fine the the time being.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.