trouble moving from OS 9.2 to OS X

C

colby

i've been trying to install OS X on my i book all day, with no success to this point. I have 12inch G3 500mhz with 192mb of ram, which should be enough to run this without incident, but i cannot get my machine to boot from the OS X disc at all. Do you guys have any suggestions for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Do you have a combo drive? (Reads CD & DVD's).
Tiger only comes on DVD's, you have to order a separate CD version.
If you have a DVD reading drive, make sure you hold down c after the chime to boot from the disk.

OP
C

colby

i'm not trying to install tiger, i'm trying to install 10.0.3 into my g3 and it won't seem to boot off of the disc. is there a possibility that the disc itself is bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm.... I think Panther came with both CD's & DVD's...

Do you know what type of drive you have?
Does the Panther disk say DVD or CD?

Does the disk appear if insert it whilst logged into OS 9? That should also work otherwise: Just boot your system normally, insert the disk and it will ask you to click a button to automatically reboot and continue the install.

OP
C

colby

it recognizes the disc, but when i try to start the install for the new os, it freezes at the boot screen and will not budge unless i restart the machine completely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay- now we're getting somewhere :)

Have you tried repairing & checking the disk? I also recently upgraded a friends system from 9.2 to OS X and we ran into a few disk error issues.

If you have an external firewire drive somewhere (such as an iPod) I'd recommend copying your entire system to that, then plug it in and hold down T to boot up OS 9 from that. Then delete your internal harddrive and boot off the disk.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I am thinking the disk is not bootable. I would suggest that you don't install anything less than 10.1.5. I believe that each release of the OS became more stable. Version 10.0 had a lot of problems with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd have to buy a copy somewhere... I'd just go straight for 10.3 panther...

Check ebay and amazon for cheapish copies.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get some more memory and upgrade 10.3 and then to 10.3.9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Yes, the more memory the faster the computer will run

OP
T

tonyb

the latest X system is not going to work that good unless you have about 1000 megs of ram.
Also, if I remember correctly how you install X on an ibook is you have to get ride of 9 totally or something like that you can't run both on an ibook. so youwould have to erase the drive totally and then boot up with and install the X disk. Now don't hold me to that but I think that was what I ran into doing for a friend one time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.