used powerbook upgrade?

Reaction score
I recently bought a used IBook G4 Mac OS x Version 10.4.11, with memory 512. It is a PowerBook 6,5. This is my first experience with a Mac. I have had numerous desktop and laptop pcs but really wanted to see what all the hoorah over MAC is about. I am not thrilled with this one though. It is slow and it did not even come loaded with photo software. Is there anyway I can upgrade without investing in a new MAC? I believe it is a Tiger operating system. Thanks in advance for any help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently bought a used IBook G4 Mac OS x Version 10.4.11, with memory 512. It is a PowerBook 6,5.

You either have an iBook or a Powerbook...it can't be both.

Is there anyway I can upgrade without investing in a new MAC?

Depends what upgrades you want to do:

- upgrade the OS
- upgrade the ram
- upgrade the hard drive

We would need to know your computers exact specs to elaborate further regarding upgrades.

Not much else you can upgrade (CPU or GPU). Of course this computer is slow (or relatively slow)...it's at least 4-5 years old...and won't run like Core 2 Duo computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You either have an iBook or a Powerbook...it can't be both.
iBook models had model identifiers of "PowerBookx,y" as the OP says. iBook hardware was derived from the PowerBooks. (Similarly, iMac and eMac models had "PowerMacx,y" model identifiers.)

"PowerBook 6,5" would be an "Early 2004" or "Late 2004" iBook G4, with anywhere from a 1.0 to 1.33 GHz CPU.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
iBook models had model identifiers of "PowerBookx,y" as the OP says. iBook hardware was derived from the PowerBooks. (Similarly, iMac and eMac models had "PowerMacx,y" model identifiers.)

"PowerBook 6,5" would be an "Early 2004" or "Late 2004" iBook G4, with anywhere from a 1.0 to 1.33 GHz CPU.

You're right my mistake!:(

I thought that the OP was "generically" referring to their laptop as an "iBook" or "Powerbook" in their post. Similar to when folks make a mistake referring to their computers as a "G4 Macbook" or a "G5 Mac Pro".

Thanks for the correction!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.