• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

trick the mac?

Reaction score
This may sound weird, but do any of you know of a program or a way of tricking the mac into thinking its got more RAM than it has. The problem is, is that im trying to install final cut pro, but the minimum amount is 512mb. When i go to install it, it checks the computer to see how much ram it has, and becuase i have too little it wont let me install it. I know i need more ram just dont have enough money, but really want to use final cut pro. can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
No ways to just trick it. Even if you could the program would be completely useless with less than 512

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
FCP is barely useful with 512mb of RAM.... Your just gonna have to get some more RAM for that thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Plus 256MB RAM will cost you around $39 nowadays... might as well just buy it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
This week Circiut City has a sale:

512 mb for $17.99 after rebate!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey that's a pretty nice deal - probably not the exact type he'll need, but even so...
RAM is so dirt cheap - do yourself a favour and get some.

Use the RAM locator on crucial.com to make sure you find the right type for your machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
reddavis999 said:
This may sound weird, but do any of you know of a program or a way of tricking the mac into thinking its got more RAM than it has?
silly..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:

Well I can understand why he'd want to try it out without spending money first if it was only for FCP. Imagine you only had one app that needed 2 Gigs of RAM and you just wanted to see if it was any good to you - you wouldn't want to spend all that cash first and then find out the app isn't right for you...

But since the entire system really needs at least 512MB RAM to run well, I think he should get the RAM regardless of whether he's going to stick with FCP or not.

Does beg the question why he spent all that money on Final Cut in the first place though.... :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Aptmunich said:
Hey that's a pretty nice deal - probably not the exact type he'll need, but even so...
RAM is so dirt cheap - do yourself a favour and get some.

Use the RAM locator on crucial.com to make sure you find the right type for your machine.

It was correct PC3200. I know that is what the mini uses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
macEfan said:
It was correct PC3200. I know that is what the mini uses.
Actually it uses PC2700, but you can use PC3200 as well...they will just be downclocked to PC2700.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.