Copy a CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I just installed "X-Plane 9", a flight game on my iMac.

I also want to install it on my Macbook.

The program requires the user to insert disk #1 (out of 6) when using it.

I would like to make a copy of disk #1 so that I can keep it in my suitcase and use it when I travel.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I can learn how to copy a whole disk?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Toast will let you do this if you have it, if not you can do it in Disk Utility too.

Open disk utility and do the following:

Disk Utility will launch, and then it will immediately open a window asking you to name the new disk image, and where to save it. Go ahead and save the image to your desktop.

In the Image Format drop-down menu, choose DVD/CD master. This is especially important if you want to burn a copy of the disk, and have it function as an exact clone of original CD or DVD you hope to backup.

Now click “Save.”
A new disk image will be created on your Desktop, with the extension “.cdr,” It may take a few minutes to create this file.

If you click on the disk image, you’ll see it works just like a CD or DVD. You can store this new disk image on a hard drive. If you want to burn it to CD or DVD, you should again use Disk Utility. Otherwise, you’ll only be burning a copy of the disk image, and not an actual CD or DVD master.

To burn a CD or DVD master, open Disk Utility and look for the disk image of your CD or DVD, on the left side of the window. Usually it’s at the bottom of the list of drives. Now, simply select the image, and then click “Burn.” Follow the directions to burn the disk.

That should sort it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
Burn - Home

burn should do it for you too, and it's free!

Open it, choose the copy tab and drag the disk to the window. Then click save and save it to desktop. When copied quit burn, switch disks, open burn to copy again and drag the new file to the window. Click save and you're done! :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure that the X-Plane master CD can be copied. It may be protected since it always has to be inserted before the simulation can be flown. Also you might want to check with the producers at Laminar Research and find out if it is allowed within their EULA to install it on more than one machine.

I could not find a copy of their EULA anywhere, however, they have a fairly extensive user forum here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends as out moderator has advised.

Sometimes software manufacturers install thin gs known as 'blockers' in their software for a very onvious reason!

Reaction score
Most games CD's are single user single system licenses... check the EULA included with the game (it is mostly located inside the small book which is included with the box)... chscag is right...

Reaction score
I don't think it's legal to install X-Plane on more than one computer.
Also, if I remember correctly, it's on dual layer dvd's, not cd's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.