Connecting PowerBook G4 12" to 1080p Insignia 26" LCD HDTV

Reaction score
I an using a min-DVI to HDMI adapter I bought at Fry's electronics, and when I connect the two, my computer screen flashes a couple times, and says that there is a monitor attached, but nothing shows on the tv at all. In display prefs, it says "VGA Display"?? Is that normal?

TV is brand new and works perfectly otherwise. I tried connecting using VGA adapter, and it was low quality, but worked fine. SO I'm assuming the video port in the mac works fine. Any ideas before I condemn the adapter?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have changed the TV input to the correct HDMI channel?

Disconnect and reconnect the adapter/cable.

Try turning the TV off and back on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely set to the correct input. There is HDMI 1, 2, and 3. You can only select them when there is something actually connected.

I've tried turning off/on, disconnect/reconnect. Pretty much tried everything at this point. I'm starting to suspect the adapter.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You do have one of the PBs that has mini-DVI? e.g. You're plugging it directly into the PB without another adapter?

Next, open up the owners manual for the TV and check to see if it recommends a specific HDMI port to be used with a computer. There may be only asingle port that transmits proper EDID info.

I have also read several reports of PB users saying they had to use DisplayConfigX to get it to work. This is most likely due to the newest PB coming out at least a couple of years prior to HDMI making it onto any consumer products and the video driver does not recognize the info it's receiving.

I am post Intel, so have zero experience with any PPC machine. The posts I've read around the web though, suggest using a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and then a DVI to HDMI cable. Can't say if that's a real solution or not.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes, my PB has a mini-DVI port, and I'm using only one adapter. I think I'll try returning my adapter and getting another to verify that isn't the issue. (It was an open-box item)

Well maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything about a specific port that should be used...

http://insigniaproducts.com/cms/documents/NS-26_32_L450A11_10-0340_WEB_V2_English_Final_lr.pdf

I also have tried DisplayConfigX, and it shows nothing for the external monitor, only the refresh rate, and that it thinks it's a "VGA" display.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The section you're looking for is typically called connecting a DVI device. It's on page 16 and specifically says to use HDMI # 1.

There is a two-fold reason for some manufacturers specifying the port to be used. 1st, is the matter of needing a separate audio with DVI. The 2nd, that may be the only port that will pass proper EDID info to a computer.

If you've tried HDMI 1 already, I'd say we know why it was an open box item.

If their adapters are much over $10, you might want to order one from Amazon or monoprice.com instead of getting a new one at the brick and mortar store.

OP
J
Reaction score
Alright, I went and exchanged the HDMI adapter for a DVI adapter, and now all is working well. Now I have another question...all of my webpages are condensed into the center of the screen...how do I spread the out/make them wider??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.