Whyfi: A science question about the unibody MBPs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
First of all, how's the wifi reception on the aluminum-body MBPs?

Secondly, how are you able to get any reception at all?

I'm no physicist, but it seems to me that a solid aluminum case would act as a Faraday cage, thereby blocking out all electromagnetic radiation; wifi is radio frequency, and RF is EMR, so it should be impossible for the wifi signal to reach the internal wireless card on the MBP.

How is the wifi cutting through the case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
First of all, how's the wifi reception on the aluminum-body MBPs?

Secondly, how are you able to get any reception at all?

I'm no physicist, but it seems to me that a solid aluminum case would act as a Faraday cage, thereby blocking out all electromagnetic radiation; wifi is radio frequency, and RF is EMR, so it should be impossible for the wifi signal to reach the internal wireless card on the MBP.

How is the wifi cutting through the case?

You could ask the same WIFI question about the Mac Pro towers...since they are enclosed in an all aluminum case as well.

I can't explain how it works...but it certainly is not impossible...because it works!:)

- Nick

p.s. I'm sure that it took some fine tuning to get it to work as well as it does today...because the WIFI reception with the initial Powermac G5's did have WIFI reception problems...because they solved it with this external antenna (photo below). Apple must have "tweaked" the design when they released the first Mac Pro towers.

9226043.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You could ask the same WIFI question about the Mac Pro towers...since they are enclosed in an all aluminum case as well.
...]

As are a great many high end PC cases from Antec, Lian Li and others.

I believe the proper question here is not how does it work, but how does a Faraday cage prevent it from working. A Faraday cage is a little more than just a thin aluminum sheet surrounding an object.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
A Faraday cage is a little more than just a thin aluminium sheet surrounding an object.

Exactly!

This is not intended as a personal attack of any sort, but perhaps read the link that you provided in your OP, and you will see comparing the MBP to a Faraday cage is a little far fetched, even if you are not a physicist!

OP
Citizen Bleys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
As I understand it, EMI creates a weak electric field when it strikes a conductor; a solid sheet of a conductive material would have its atoms spaced closely enough together for the electric fields to overlap. But yeah, not a physicist. Not even close.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.