I am going to stop smoking to buy A G5

Reaction score
Ok I need some inspiration to stop me smoking. Its getting bad I am only 30 years old and on 25 smokes a day. I have worked out that in 420 days I can have a G5 Mac. Its costing 2.20 a day to smoke to my death.

420 days x 2.20 = £924.00 enough for a G5

I was thinking of some ways to encorage me further. I am thinking of putting a grid up on the wall there are 2260 squares on this grid. Every day I dont have a ciggarette another block is coloured in. Therefore on the 420th block I have my G5.

I hope it will be worth the struggle. Is it worth the struggle?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Definitely!

But make sure you actually go ahead and keep drawing out the money you'd spend on cigs and put it in a jar or something.

Otherwise you'll just spend it on something else and won't actually have "saved" it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 1.33/512/80GB - Macbook 1.83/CD/2GBs ram.
Good idea.
I just quit 2 weeks ago.

OP
A
Reaction score
Daniel said:
Good idea.
I just quit 2 weeks ago.

At the end of the day I need some sort of goal or present and something where I can say look what I managed to buy becuase I stopped smoking. A Mac seems to be a good goal. I got a battered G3 blue and white downstairs. I am Windows and Linux user, but everytime I use the Blue and White downstairs I like it more and more especially OSX.

I did manage to quit before for a month and then my father passed away and because of the shock I started smoking again. I am finding it harder this time around. I know deep down that it is not doing me any good at all but I still continue to smoke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
thats a very good idea, and i hope this time you will stay smoke-free forever

B

BrianH

One helpful tip is to put up a pic or a poster of somesort of a Mac, or the G5 you want. And then have a jar, as someone else mentioned, that way its your mind is always on your goal. I had to deposit the money i made everyday ( i get paid everyday after we close) in the bank and keep seeing my balance grow and grow until I had enough to get my powerbook.

Reaction score
there is a widget out there (something like, countdown) get that good luck!

Z

zap2

go down to your apple store and check out the powermacs and when every u want to light up think, if i DO not di this im on step closer to that power house of a computer and one step father from death.

T

Tel

Lets see, spend £2.20 a day trying to kill yourself, or spend £2.20 for 420 days, get a quality computer, and live longer. I think its a great idea, good luck quitting :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Good Luck Quitting!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black Core2Duo 2.0ghz, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, Tiger
It's all good, but one thing I don't understand is how you managed to get 25 smokes out of £2.20?!? Either you're buying packets of cigarettes that are WELL cheap - and I'd like to know where I could get some - or you're smoking some big-*** roll-ups if one 12.5g pack is only making 25 cigs ;)

it's a good way of giving up smoking though, and this way you get a marvellous new computer!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Yes try your hardest quitting and get yourself a great comnputer:) after U use the computer, U may become so busy on it that you won't have time to somke :0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
good luck, i hope you achive your goal .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
i heard that the hardest part of quit smoking... i not knowing what to do with your hands... (eek)

me as a non-smoker.. i dont know anything... but ive been told that gum helps :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
It is totally worth it to quit smoking and get an iMac G5 after 420 days. After three days you will begin to feel physically better. If you start working out and lifting weights to help you get through the cravings, you will start feeling even better, and start getting more muscular. After 90 days of working out you'll be able to curl one 17" iMac G5 in each hand. After 120 days of not smoking and working out, you'll be able to do so with two 20" G5s.

After 420 days of not smoking and working out, when you purchase your 20" iMac G5, you'll be so hulking big that you'll be able to carry it around like regular people carry around a 12" iBook, except you'll be using that iMac as your laptop computer! :p

Bottom line is it's always worth it to quit smoking. Can you tell I did so three months ago? Yes, you will get healtheir, happier, and able to purchase a 20" iMac G5!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Man, that's a great idea. I need to do the same. I'm 30 and have just about the same amount as you. $3.20 give or take a pack everyday. I'm in!!! I'll stop with you.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The term is quit smoking, not stop. Because if you stop, you will start again. If you quit that is a different situation. Since we are trying to be positive and supportive, you guys are now going to quit smoking. it is a challenge, but I know both of you can do it. :)

J

jeXus

Yea, quit man. I did about 2 years now. If you get past the first week your good to go. Dont get me wrong tho. You'll think about it everyday of your life. At least I still do (but I live with smokers). The only thing missing are the cravings. I much rather save the money for a G5 ...hehe pretty good incentive. To think I quit for nothing. :dummy:

F

Fallooza

adrian29uk said:
Ok I need some inspiration to stop me smoking. Its getting bad I am only 30 years old and on 25 smokes a day. I have worked out that in 420 days I can have a G5 Mac. Its costing 2.20 a day to smoke to my death.

420 days x 2.20 = £924.00 enough for a G5

I was thinking of some ways to encorage me further. I am thinking of putting a grid up on the wall there are 2260 squares on this grid. Every day I dont have a ciggarette another block is coloured in. Therefore on the 420th block I have my G5.

I hope it will be worth the struggle. Is it worth the struggle?
so how many smokes have you had since this post? i hope its 0 but i bet it 20.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Why not buy a mac on apple finance, and then you could make sure you wouldn't smoke anymore, otherwise you would know you were broke!
Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.