Connecting Brother HL-2170W to iMac (2010) using built-in AirPort

Reaction score
I can not figure this out... I've looked at the other threads on this subject and they don't answer the question...

Here is what I have:

- a 2010 (just purchased last week/ugraded from a 2005 model) iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.4

- Brother HL-2170W wireless Laser Printer (purchased tonight - brand new)

Here is what I want to do:

- I want to connect my printer to my iMac wirelessly... as in NO freaking cables... that is why I bought a wireless printer! I have high speed internet through my cable provider, but it connects directly into my iMac via an ethernet cable... My cable internet modem is not equipped with a built in wireless router... (people keep WRONGLY thinking I am trying to connect my printer to the cable modem box and keep giving me instruction for that... I AM NOT! It will not work as it is not a wireless router!)

- How do I use my built-in AirPort to connect to this printer wireless... Please don't tell me, "Go buy AirPort Express" or any other device... I will not do this... I will just take the **** printer back and demand a full cash refund. On my last iMac (a 2005 model) I set up a wireless network so my brother (who was visiting from out of town) could access the internet on his laptop... anyway... so I know it is possible...

Sorry if I sound annoyed... I have tried 15 other forums tonight and people keep giving my advice that has nothing to do with what my goals are... they say "go by a $50 router" which make NO SENSE! The printer is wireless ready!!!! My computer is wireless ready!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME REAL ADVISE!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry if I sound annoyed... I have tried 15 other forums tonight and people keep giving my advice that has nothing to do with what my goals are... they say "go by a $50 router" which make NO SENSE! The printer is wireless ready!!!! My computer is wireless ready!!!! PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME REAL ADVISE!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

You're not going to get much in the way of help by coming here with an "attitude".

You tell us that you don't have a wireless router, but you do have a wireless printer and a brand new iMac with wireless, and you also admit that you've been on 15 other forums and haven't received the solution.

Perhaps there is no solution without a wireless router or wireless modem-router?

On my last iMac (a 2005 model) I set up a wireless network so my brother (who was visiting from out of town) could access the internet on his laptop... anyway... so I know it is possible...

Well, since you know it's possible, why not just setup your new iMac and wireless printer the same way you did before?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.