Analog to DV - Sony Handycam

H

Harryc

I have collected many 8mm video videocassettes over the years using a Sony Handycam. It has analog video and stereo audio out(RCA) and an s-video out port. (No USB or Firewire out). I'd like to get those old tapes onto OS X (iMovie) and start editing them and transferrng to DVD. Where to start? Do I need an analog to DV converter? Recommendations? Cost is a factor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
The first option of course would be to dub them all to miniDV using a DV camcorder and the use that same camcorder to digitize the footage... However, it sounds like you may not have access to a DV camera.

I use the Canopus ADVC100 (analog to DV converter)to digitize my BetaSP footage in. It seems to work pretty well... You can find them for around $250.

Stick around though... I only do broadcast stuff so some other people might have some more cost effective ideas.

OP
H

Harryc

sarahsboy18 said:
I use the Canopus ADVC100 (analog to DV converter)to digitize my BetaSP footage in. It seems to work pretty well... You can find them for around $250.
Thanks for the reply sarahsboy18, I have seen the Canopus model in my search, but it is too much money. Under $100 would be reasonable for my needs, a bit more might be an option depending on how well it works. Anyone else have any ideas? What about a PCI card video capture solution for Mac? Do they exist and would they do what I want?

OP
H

Harryc

trpnmonkey41 said:
You aren't going to find anything under 100 bucks for what you need

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvwonder&PHPSESSID=117cd9a25bb2e8ba4164e08820465b63

This could work although it requires a Dual G5 to get the the best importing
Thanks for that, good idea, but I' also have to get a USB 2.0 card for my G4 Powermac. Why do you say it would require a dual G5? I have a single 1Ghz G4 DA with 1GB RAM and Raid 0 10k RPM drives. Basically, it gets down to this ... I am probably better off getting a DV cam if I need to spend that much money. Any more ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Harryc said:
Thanks for that, good idea, but I' also have to get a USB 2.0 card for my G4 Powermac. Why do you say it would require a dual G5? I have a single 1Ghz G4 DA with 1GB RAM and Raid 0 10k RPM drives. Basically, it gets down to this ... I am probably better off getting a DV cam if I need to spend that much money. Any more ideas?

Yea that machine wouldn't cut it for that tuner. Besides having to get the USB card the processor just isn't powerful enough

Macintosh computer with G4 processor and built-in USB 2.0 port to watch live TV and record VCDs,
Macintosh computer with dual processor G4 or G5 and built-in USB 2.0 port for standard quality recordings (DVD 120 min),
Macintosh computer with dual processor G5 for high quality recordings (DVD 90 min)

The EyeTV wonder uses the computer to process and do all of the encoding which is why it requires such a powerful processor. I have an iMac 1.8 g5 and with nothing else running I can record at high quality but it uses 100% of my CPU and will get choppy every once and a while.

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv200

That does all of the encoding in the unit itself which is why it only requires a 500mhz G4.

Reaction score
I do it the hard way with stuff off of the air. I have a standalone DVD recorder that I use to record onto a dvd. Pop that into my mac, import, edit, and burn it with iDvd. I've seen no-name dvd recorders for around 100 bucks lately. Grab one of those and record with it using it's analog input. Of course you'll have some loss with it but you would with a usb card as well. You get a standalone dvd recorder as a bonus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
I don't know if this cuts it or not, but I thought I throw it in the ring. It looks like the resolution is a bit low, but its only a bit over $100.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Miglia/DVRPCISILN/

You might also check out the ADS Pyro AV link. Its a bit cheaper than the canopus (~$160) with as far as I can tell about the same features.

Good luck. If you find something that works well let us know. I'd like to find something to do the same thing, but being in grad school my income is pretty meager.

OP
H

Harryc

jhelm007 said:
I don't know if this cuts it or not, but I thought I throw it in the ring. It looks like the resolution is a bit low, but its only a bit over $100.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Miglia/DVRPCISILN/

You might also check out the ADS Pyro AV link. Its a bit cheaper than the canopus (~$160) with as far as I can tell about the same features.

Good luck. If you find something that works well let us know. I'd like to find something to do the same thing, but being in grad school my income is pretty meager.
That looks very interesting as well thanks. If anyone has tried it, some feedback would be appreciated. I have been spending the last hour or so researching DVD recorders, there are definately more than a few pluses in going that route. For example, some of the better models also support DVD/RW, so I could literally record over and over and transfer to the Mac as many times as I want using the same disk, then burn onto a fresh disk on the Mac. Plus some play MP3 CD's and DVD's as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.