Keychain

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone please help me in understanding how keychain works?
I have Leopard installed on my system.

I can see some 5 keychains in "Keychain Access" and a lot of categories... I don't understand what they really mean.

My Macbook usually remembers passwords on it's own but suddenly Mail has stopped remembering passwords. Hence, I opened "Keychain Access" to try to figure out the problem. But I'm unable to do it.

A related question about Safari:
How can I make Safari to remember passwords on a website where initially I have asked it to 'never' remember passwords.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Last question first: you delete that site's entry on the Keychain. The next time you visit, it will act as though you've never been there before and prompt you to save the password.

For the Mail question, Mail doesn't use the Keychain (oddly enough). Your passwords for POP/SMTP or iMAP status are contained within Mail itself. Check the preferences.

For the lack of understanding on what the various Keychains are, my blunt answer is "don't worry about it -- except for the one with your user name." The others are used by the system itself and really aren't worth digging into unless this field is a hobby of yours.

Confine yourself to examining the one keychain with your name on it and it should make plenty of sense.

More about it if you want to know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.