Successfully upgraded MacbookPro hard drive - Few questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 13" MacBookPro 2.26 GHz, 5 Gb, 500 GB, OS X 10.6.5
Thanks to "cwa107"'s advice, I successfully updated my mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro hard drive with this. With 7200 rpm I see insignificant decrease in battery life but the speed improvement is substantial (partly may be because I also upgraded memory from 2Gb to 5 Gb). My application load pretty fast. And gives me one more reason to love my computer.

I have few questions though.

1) I see little increase in boot time. Its about 2 minutes (higher than what it was before). I really don't mind that at this moment, but is there something wrong? I was reading somewhere that I should reset the PRAM after hard drive upgrade. Is this correct?

2) After I installed the new hard drive. (I used super duper to image my old hard drive) and when I connected my time machine backup, it took entire hard drive back up again. I dont know why. Although currently I have enough space on my TM but I thought its weird. Is there any way I can delete the duplicates? My TM space has gone down suddenly. Is there any solution at this moment or OSX will remove the unwanted backup automatically when TM backup gets nearly full?

Thanks for your help !!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. Using SuperDuper of CCC to clone the contents of the old drive to the new one usually causes an increase in boot time. It's best to just install the new drive, partition and format it, then use your Time Machine backup to restore. That works best for boot speed and little to no fragmentation.

2. What Time Machine did (making a new backup) was normal as it is now backing up a new drive. You can safely delete your old backup thru the Finder.

Reaction score
new hard drive

So what is the best practice installing new hard drive because I just order a new Seagate 500GB hard drive and I back everything up to a 1TB hard drive

Should i just install the new hard drive and install the OS but me being new to MAC how do you do that

Thanks

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Using SuperDuper of CCC to clone the contents of the old drive to the new one usually causes an increase in boot time. It's best to just install the new drive, partition and format it, then use your Time Machine backup to restore. That works best for boot speed and little to no fragmentation.

2. What Time Machine did (making a new backup) was normal as it is now backing up a new drive. You can safely delete your old backup thru the Finder.

1. What can I do now? Or I just have to live with increased boot time?

2. Thanks for the advice. I will probably keep the backup for some time since I have enough space left on the hard drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. What can I do now? Or I just have to live with increased boot time?

2. Thanks for the advice. I will probably keep the backup for some time since I have enough space left on the hard drive.

You don't have to live with the extended boot times. I ran into the same problem when I upgraded.. here's what you can do:

Make a backup of your current installation using Time Machine. And for safety sake, use SuperDuper to make a clone - in case.

Now boot with your SL DVD, erase the drive, partition and format it HFS+ Journaled, using the GUID scheme. (Make sure your TM hard drive is attached) Afterward, proceed to the installation of SL. When you're asked if you have a backup, select yes, and then use your Time Machine backup to restore. May take a few minutes to complete.

You should be back in business with a reduced boot time. I reduced my boot time 1 minute or more by doing the above. Let us know how it went.

Reaction score
You don't have to live with the extended boot times. I ran into the same problem when I upgraded.. here's what you can do:

Make a backup of your current installation using Time Machine. And for safety sake, use SuperDuper to make a clone - in case.

Now boot with your SL DVD, erase the drive, partition and format it HFS+ Journaled, using the GUID scheme. (Make sure your TM hard drive is attached) Afterward, proceed to the installation of SL. When you're asked if you have a backup, select yes, and then use your Time Machine backup to restore. May take a few minutes to complete.

You should be back in business with a reduced boot time. I reduced my boot time 1 minute or more by doing the above. Let us know how it went.

When partition and format the drive to HFS+Journaled - How many partition do you do and what size

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When partition and format the drive to HFS+Journaled - How many partition do you do and what size

One partition to fill the entire size of the internal hard drive. It will default to that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I don't know if it matters at all at this point, but I will be upgrading the hard drive in my Mac mini to a 500 GB hard drive tomorrow and here is how I plan on going about it:

1. Back up the contents of my hard drive onto a Time Machine backup.
  2. Install the new drive in the computer.
  3. Reinstall OS X from the restore DVDs that came with the computer.
  4. When prompted, I will copy the data from the Time Machine backup back onto the computer

I did this when I upgraded the hard drive in my MacBook a couple years ago and the process worked great. I have no complaints about how things turned out. It's simple and requires very little effort (with the exception of installing the drive in the mini of course).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Thanks to "cwa107"'s advice, I successfully updated my mid-2009 13" Macbook Pro hard drive with this. With 7200 rpm I see insignificant decrease in battery life but the speed improvement is substantial (partly may be because I also upgraded memory from 2Gb to 5 Gb). My application load pretty fast. And gives me one more reason to love my computer.

I have few questions though.

1) I see little increase in boot time. Its about 2 minutes (higher than what it was before). I really don't mind that at this moment, but is there something wrong? I was reading somewhere that I should reset the PRAM after hard drive upgrade. Is this correct?

2) After I installed the new hard drive. (I used super duper to image my old hard drive) and when I connected my time machine backup, it took entire hard drive back up again. I dont know why. Although currently I have enough space on my TM but I thought its weird. Is there any way I can delete the duplicates? My TM space has gone down suddenly. Is there any solution at this moment or OSX will remove the unwanted backup automatically when TM backup gets nearly full?

Thanks for your help !!!

1. I've done 3 MacBookPro hard drive swaps (on 3 different machines) and ever single one i notice the boot time afterward was a bit slow, I reset the PRAM and it resolved the problem.

My last 15in MBP with a new 500GB 7200RPM drive, booted up in around 30 seconds, mind you I only had about 60GB of space used.

I would recommend giving it a try, it wont hurt nothing.

2. You dont really have to worry about the TM because once the space is full, it will start deleting the oldest backups. So eventually the drive will get full.

But if you want you could check to see if there is duplicate ".sparsebundle's" and delete the older one.
Or you could whip the drive then start a fresh TM backup, hopefully nothing happens to your computer while that process is going on since there wouldn't be a backup. LOL

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. I've done 3 MacBookPro hard drive swaps (on 3 different machines) and ever single one i notice the boot time afterward was a bit slow, I reset the PRAM and it resolved the problem.

Thanks TomTom. I assume resetting PRAM does not affect my bootcamp partition, right? I have only one time license of Windows 7 and don't want to take a risk of loosing it.

@chscag, thanks for your reply .. but I will first try TomTom's suggestion first before killing everything on the drive :)

OP
sachadon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot TomTom ... I am down to boot time of 40 sec. Life is good :) and everything else is working great except resetting PRAM reset my mouse setting and few other settings but not a big deal ...

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
No problemo, I'm glad i could help! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.