Time Machine memory issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Time Machine is reporting it's out of memory. I'm using an external (USB) hard drive to back up the 120 GB internal drive and a 500 GB (USB) external hard drive. I've clicked the option to allow Time Machine to delete previous backups when necessary, but, for the last two days I keep getting error messages that Time Machine can't back up 36 GB or so. At present the drives are reporting - Time Machine (1.5TB) - 36.73 GB available, 500 GB drive - 362.28 GB available, and the internal drive (120 GB) - 76.74 GB available. This doesn't add up. I know the issue is being caused by switching the drives from ntfs file system to Mac OSX file system and the copying and pasting that ensued. Is there a way to get rid of the back up and start a new one. I'm not seeing it at the moment.

I know if I move that really big Time Machine file anywhere near the trash can again the system will lock up and have to be restarted off the DVD and allow it to go away. I don't want to use that option. How can I safely get rid of the original back up file and have Time Machine start over now?

Thanks for your assistance! The collective knowledge here on Mac Forums is genius level!

Arthur

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Time Machine is reporting that it's running low or out of space, not memory. Hard drives use space, the system uses memory.

You have no other choice but to delete the backup files from the external hard drives if you wish to start Time Machine over again. Instead of sending them to the Trash, use this procedure: LINK

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Thank you for your assistance, but, when I followed the link and tried the rm -rf (not sure if I got that right relying on memory) it gave an error in bash that didn't allow the back up file to be removed. I also tried just dragging it with just the rm command, but, again forgot that since it has a directory structure in it the option is not allowed.

Basically, and this is only if it helps other switchers, the error message indicated that the Time Machine disc was too full to allow sufficient work space to complete the back up requested. Again, I don't understand why it didn't just release some of the older back ups and keep the freshest data safe.

WHAT WORKED WAS, I had a brainstorm and isolated the proper disc by ejecting both, then plugging one in to see that it was the Time Machine, ejecting it again and plugging up the 500 GB data drive. I assured that the data was safe and still executing. Then I drug up the Mac Book Pro that I've recently purchased, plugged in the Time Machine drive, opened disc utility and erased the Time Machine drive. I'm not sure if I needed to switch the Time Machine drive to the Mac Book Pro or if I could have just left it plugged into the Mac Mini and used the disc utility to erase the drive.

I have two more drives I want to plug in eventually, mostly to network Time Machine on my Mac Book Pro and just have the little extra data room if needed. The only available USB port on the back of the Mac Mini available is feeding to my printer. I've worked it successfully off a hub previously, but have no more hub space available. I think I need to look for a really large in output ports, powered hub at the moment. Or learn to feed the lesser of the evils off my keyboard since there are two unpowered USB ports on it! I'm thinking, but I will figure it all out eventually!

You guys have been fantastic for the help. Please keep feeding it as I run into problems with switching to my Mac world!

Thanks,
Arthur

Reaction score
When I had a a backup issue, I reformatted the destination drive and ran Time Machine. All went well.

Use disk utility for the format process. Be very careful about which drive you choose!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.