• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Amazon's ebook sales surge

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Amazon's e-book sales surge: Was it the Kindle or the iPad app? | ZDNet

Bottom line, the 4th quarter of last year (the last time Amazon released these figures) sales were 60 ebooks to 100 hardback books.

During the quarter after the iPad was released this figure rose to 143 ebooks to 100 hardback books.

During the month after the Kindle dropped to $189, that figure is up to 180 to 100.
This is bound to continue growing with their new price point at $139.

And to note: their physical book sales continues to grow during this time.

Bezos is estimating that ebook sales could overtake paperback sales within the next 12 months.

Oh, and since I just got my Kindle like only 2 years ago and paid $400 for it, do you think I could get them to let me trade this one in for the new model for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Oh, and since I just got my Kindle like only 2 years ago and paid $400 for it, do you think I could get them to let me trade this one in for the new model for free?

Yeah just get a few thousand of your closest friends to write letters to Amazon and complain, and then go to the media and complain. Sounds totally feasible. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah just get a few thousand of your closest friends to write letters to Amazon and complain, and then go to the media and complain. Sounds totally feasible. ;D

Or just bribe the state politician where the Amazon HQ is. That always works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Well those folks at ZDNet are obviously morons! We all know the surge in sales is due to the iPad!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.