water damage fix question

Reaction score
my neighbor had a 15" macbook pro in his closet because a couple months after he bought it, he spilled a drink on it. Since this voided his warranty and the machine would not boot or do anything at all - this caused him to buy another.

He was going to throw it away, but I asked him if I could have it b/c I was curious if I could get it working.

success!! after carefully reading some threads on water damage I figured this thing was a brick anyways so I took it apart (all the way apart) and spent a couple hours w/ isopropyl alcohol and q-tips cleaning up any spec of sticky drink residue that I could find on all the pieces - logic board, frame, etc... After some fanaggeling and putting it back together it now works just fine - no problems. Score 1 for a free mac! :)

Here is my question. While taking it apart I pried on the wrong part of the mount that the cmos battery (i think this is what its called) clips to on the logic board.

You can see what I mean by looking here in step 16. Here is a larger picture as well.

The battery is the blue disc in the bottom right hand corner (its a panasonic 3V battery) the mount that the wires snap into came completely off the logic board - it broke the soldering. therefore after putting it all back together, this piece got left out.

I tried setting the clock when the machine booted and then shutdown all the way and started it up again - the clock time stayed intact.

Does anyone know the ramifications of not having this piece in place? Am I heading for a disaster down the road?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Congrats on the 99% repair. Van

Reaction score
You might experience problems later on down the road, but for now, test your speakers.

OP
V
Reaction score
speakers work ok right now. Can't seem to find anything that is not working. I'm debating it I could re-solder the leads back on? Not sure as its pretty tight in there...maybe I should just leave well enough alone and let it work while it does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How good are you at soldering? As long as you use a low wattage iron (around 25W) and are real careful, you should be able to solder the leads back on. Use soldering clips to hold them in place - and don't allow the iron to touch the board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.