iPhone switch From Windows to Mac

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and to the mac world but I was wondering if any of you could help me out. Currently my iPhone connects to my old windows computer. What I am afraid of is whether or not when I plug it into my new mac, will I lose all of my music, videos, contacts and apps or will it just transfer it into iTunes and everything will work just as it did before on my other computer. Regardless if it will erase everything or it will work perfectly, I would like to now the best course of action. Thanks in advance for all the support.

Reaction score
Your apps will transfer. Your media (music, videos, photos) will not however. Anything you bought off the iTunes store will also transfer.

If you need to, copy the music, photos and videos off your old computer onto the Mac, and from there you should be good to go.

For best results, go into Music>iTunes>iTunes Library and copy the entire iTunes Library onto a flash drive (USB). You might need to use an external hard drive. Then, on the Mac, drag the iTunes Library folder from the external storage device over to Music>iTunes in the Finder. iTunes should find it.

I've been in the same boat as you before.

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and to the mac world but I was wondering if any of you could help me out. Currently my iPhone connects to my old windows computer. What I am afraid of is whether or not when I plug it into my new mac, will I lose all of my music, videos, contacts and apps or will it just transfer it into iTunes and everything will work just as it did before on my other computer. Regardless if it will erase everything or it will work perfectly, I would like to now the best course of action. Thanks in advance for all the support.

Hi, I just switched to the iMac yesterday from a Windows Environment so I've been thru the iTunes switch. I have my music on an external drive. How I got it to work correctly was to Press the Control (or Option) key (sorry, don't remember which one and I'm not at my computer) and then start iTunes. Once you do this, iTunes will ask for your iTunes folder. I selected the external drive and voila, it all works flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

-- Val

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.