parallels or bootcamp or both?

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. Wanting to retain ability to play a few favourite PC games on my new imac, can I run Bootcamp together with parallels on the imac? I've heard it may struggle on parallels with a resource-hungry game, in which case I can boot into windows from bootcamp, but for some work and graphics apps it would be cool to have both windows and os x available on the same desktop. Do I have to choose either Bootcamp or Parallels as an install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You want to run bootcamp for the games - but you want to run parallels or vmware on top of it. Run bootcamp when you are running a resource hog - run the Virtual Machine from inside your Mac if you need to get to anything - do updates, etc. Best of both worlds.
See this document
Parallels Desktop User's Guide

OP
F
Reaction score
Thats great - thanks, I was told they were mutually exclusive and you could only have one or the other on your drive.

C

chas_m

In fact, they use the same Windows install, so whoever told you they were mutually exclusive either has very old info or was talking out of their ... um ... hat. Yes, hat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.