Ram Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
Hi ,
excuse my noobishness but
can someone explain me how to read the Istat Pro stats on my ram ?
i dont understand
i only had photoshop and bridge opened a this time ...
but i always seem that there is the same amount on ram used {even when playing Cod4 ect}
thanks

Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 12.02.27 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're interested in how your Mac's ram is being used/allocated...you could also use "Activity Monitor" in your Applications > Utilities folder.

It represents/displays your ram usage as a "pie chart"...and that may be easier to visualize or understand (as compared to the info output from iStat).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
While I agree with Nick's suggestion for using Activity Monitor, to see the pie chart, I find that for me, personally MenuMeters gives me all of the info I need, at a glance and IMO its layout is far superior to iStat. :)
20100827-cyajwy45dkkw7if5yk7y5etkuf.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I agree with Nick's suggestion for using Activity Monitor, to see the pie chart, I find that for me, personally MenuMeters gives me all of the info I need, at a glance and IMO its layout is far superior to iStat. :)

Hey...different strokes for different folks!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
+1 to rottie, menumeters is by far the best thing on my menu bar now!

Reaction score
I think why bother to have your menu bar cluttered up when you have iStat pro available one key tap away? Or, even better, when Apple already provides you the tools for that? But hey, to each his own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
@chris H I have I stat on the dash and it's all displayed with geektools, but when different apps are cluttering the desktop I think it's great to have it on the menu bar. I don't have to hit a button or minimize apps to see stats, I love it.

Reaction score
I think why bother to have your menu bar cluttered up when you have iStat pro available one key tap away? Or, even better, when Apple already provides you the tools for that? But hey, to each his own.
Hehe. I'm in the opposite camp to you. In my view, if you have Menu Bar space, that's currently unused and you can utilize it, with useful applets, then, to me, it's a better option than having to look elsewhere in the GUI for bandwidth/memory consumption, CPU usage, etc. :)

But as Nick said earlier, to each his/her own. :Cool:

Reaction score
Agreed.

Though for me, using a MacBook with a 13" screen- applications that had a lot of menus ended up hiding my tools up there. So, after a few posts later here, I removed most of the tools, except hard drive activity.

C

chas_m

I hate to criticise my fellow posters, especially when you're all very nice people, but "way to talk AROUND the question, guys!" :)

It's not that your suggestions weren't good, but the OP was asking for help understanding the different categories of RAM use. Going to a pie chart doesn't actually help if you still don't understand what "wired" versus "active" means.

in00b, here's a page that explains the terminology pretty clearly, using Activity Monitor to illustrate.

Bottom line, it looks to me that you could use more real RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to criticise my fellow posters, especially when you're all very nice people, but "way to talk AROUND the question, guys!" :)

It's not that your suggestions weren't good, but the OP was asking for help understanding the different categories of RAM use. Going to a pie chart doesn't actually help if you still don't understand what "wired" versus "active" means.

I considered that possibility. If we were "off the mark"...I was waiting for the OP to reply letting us know.

Sometimes what "OP's" write is not always what they mean.;)

- Nick

p.s. You're probably right regarding what the OP is/was looking for...I was taking the simple route first with the "pie chart" in Activity Monitor.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7
[ i ment more something like "what is the therminology and how hou read it ?"
:p]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Basically: Wired RAM, is used by the system i.e o/s, Active Ram is what is being used by your open apps, inactive is what was used by an app, but no longer, i.e the apps been closed, free ram is exactly as it says it is

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.