• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Exporting a small video with.....

J

jeXus

Okay, I'm trying to export a 2 minute video to send to a family member. I was read MPEG4 is the standard format if I don't want to hear any complaints that they couldn't view it. So I'm exporting in Imovie using the mpeg4 and the quality of the video becomes very pixelated and just nasty. How can I compress this so that I dont lose that much quality?

OP
J

jeXus

Now i got the quality to be ok but the file size is about 24.8mb I think that is way to big to send via email. I need to reduce the size of the file retaining the video as best as possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
3mb lowest email limit that I have encountered. I don't know that your going to be able to crunch a 2 minute video under 3mb and still retain decent video quality. You best bet would be to host it on a server and email a link. Otherwise I would just drop the resolution and the quality until it gets under 3mb.

OP
J

jeXus

Its actually less than 2 minutes I just chcek the .mov file that Imovie creates and it is only 20kb but I cant keep it that small.

OP
J

jeXus

OK so I decide to just go with the bad quality video and I send it to a PC so I can test it out and the video starts I hear the music but then it freezes up and I get nothing else. Eventually quicktime just quits. I have tested it out on several PCs just to make sure it wasnt the software on the PC. It's obviously the video file. Why would something like this happen? I exported the file as a quicktime file with Mpeg4 codec.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
jeXus said:
Its actually less than 2 minutes I just chcek the .mov file that Imovie creates and it is only 20kb but I cant keep it that small.

That 20kb doesn't sound right at all..... unless the file is corrupt... or your in/out points weren't set correctly. Do you mean 20mb?

Also, does the MPEG4 file play normally on your mac?

OP
J

jeXus

Yea the MPEG 4 Plays on my mac. Once I email it to myself it doesn't work. I get the same problem they do. The video starts but then doesnt run its course. Also the 20KB is what the properties showed. It may be showing up incorrectly but that's what it said. As of right now it's sitting in my Imovie as a project. It runs fine. Quality is fine. Exporting it just kills it. Anyone have any suggestions or experience exporting a small clip that I can email?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
jeXus said:
Yea the MPEG 4 Plays on my mac. Once I email it to myself it doesn't work. I get the same problem they do. The video starts but then doesnt run its course. Also the 20KB is what the properties showed. It may be showing up incorrectly but that's what it said. As of right now it's sitting in my Imovie as a project. It runs fine. Quality is fine. Exporting it just kills it. Anyone have any suggestions or experience exporting a small clip that I can email?

make sure to export self contained movie, not the reference movie.
this 20Kb sounds very much like a reference movie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.