Microsoft is at switchers again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 2 GHz, 2GB, 120GB, 10.6.4 / 15 " MacBookPro, 2.33 GHz, 2 GB, 200GB, 10.6.4
Do NOT buy the Microsoft Office 2008 three pack version based upon the upgrade offer their trying to propose! I bought the MS Office for Mac 2008 based upon the future upgrade offer. You have to pay a little more, so, I thought I would get three upgrades! Guess what the people at MS think. I buy three licenses for a product that is becoming out of date and I only get one update to MS Office 2011 (as normal, when they can produce it!) The purchase option didn't mention that fact, since I have two Mac machines that I would like to place the upgraded software on both machine's at the moment! Very misleading! No wonder he's worth billions since his company lies like (the big b****** at the moment!)

DO NO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU WANT LICENSES FOR MULTIPLE MACHINES! Bill Gates is just making his wallet a little fatter at all of the people he exploits! Look hard into the history of MicroSoft and see what you find happened around the 1970's... He stole his fortune and now I'm paying for his unfortunate disgrace to step down from the thrown and give it a rest and allow MicroSoft to go into the public domain!

I'm really learning to hate this man at the moment! If I purchase three licenses for a product he works out after he stole the original recipe, then why don't I get three licenses back from his stealing the original recipe?

At the moment, he wants me to pay $108 (american) for the box with three licenses, and give it over to get his free download. FREE! I just purchased three downloads! How much will UNCLE BILL charge me for another box of his with OFFICE 2011 for Mac? It's not FREE if he's not giving me the original three downloads as FREE!

I'm really learning to hate the man and the corporation he created! I've been hooked on the MS-DOS world since the 1970's. Thank creator that I bought this Mac Mini and learned how to do some stuff on my own. (I do have a BS degree in Computers and Information Science.) So, I know my own steam, what I can do, and after I learned that the Mac works with bash, how to do a lot of things, but I need Excel! I hate Bill Gates!

Arthur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
LOL you serious?

You purchased one copy of Office 2008 application which will be updated to version 2011 in due course and not three copies. If not happy use one of the free software packages such as Open Office etc.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do NOT buy the Microsoft Office 2008 three pack version based upon the upgrade offer their trying to propose! I bought the MS Office for Mac 2008 based upon the future upgrade offer. You have to pay a little more, so, I thought I would get three upgrades! Guess what the people at MS think. I buy three licenses for a product that is becoming out of date and I only get one update to MS Office 2011 (as normal, when they can produce it!) The purchase option didn't mention that fact, since I have two Mac machines that I would like to place the upgraded software on both machine's at the moment! Very misleading! No wonder he's worth billions since his company lies like (the big b****** at the moment!)

Why don't you just wait to buy Office 2011 if you think you need it? And if you have to have it now, just buy 2008 and don't worry about 2011 when it's released. There's no expiry on Office - it's not like it goes bad or something.

DO NO PURCHASE THIS PRODUCT IF YOU WANT LICENSES FOR MULTIPLE MACHINES! Bill Gates is just making his wallet a little fatter at all of the people he exploits! Look hard into the history of MicroSoft and see what you find happened around the 1970's... He stole his fortune and now I'm paying for his unfortunate disgrace to step down from the thrown and give it a rest and allow MicroSoft to go into the public domain!

I could have sworn Bill retired from Microsoft a couple of years ago.

I'm really learning to hate this man at the moment! If I purchase three licenses for a product he works out after he stole the original recipe, then why don't I get three licenses back from his stealing the original recipe?

I'm sure you have a point there, but it's beyond me.

At the moment, he wants me to pay $108 (american) for the box with three licenses, and give it over to get his free download. FREE! I just purchased three downloads! How much will UNCLE BILL charge me for another box of his with OFFICE 2011 for Mac? It's not FREE if he's not giving me the original three downloads as FREE!

No, you purchased three licenses that entitle you to use Office 2008. It's not unheard of to charge for a major upgrade. In fact it's a nice perk to at least give you one free upgrade to 2011.

I'm really learning to hate the man and the corporation he created! I've been hooked on the MS-DOS world since the 1970's.

Well, to be fair, MS-DOS was laid to rest for the most part in 1995. Sure, it underpinned Win9x & Me, but really hasn't been a part of a Microsoft OS since the release of XP.

Thank creator that I bought this Mac Mini and learned how to do some stuff on my own. (I do have a BS degree in Computers and Information Science.) So, I know my own steam, what I can do, and after I learned that the Mac works with bash, how to do a lot of things, but I need Excel! I hate Bill Gates!

Arthur

OpenOffice and Numbers (part of iWork) do a fair job of replicating most of the functionality of Excel. So, if you're really that turned off to Microsoft, maybe you should give them a fair shake and see if they're viable alternatives. Just be cautioned that if you buy iWork '09, you aren't going to get a free upgrade to '11 when and if it's released. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
"Do NOT buy the Microsoft Office 2008 three pack version based upon the upgrade offer their trying to propose! I bought the MS Office for Mac 2008 based upon the future upgrade offer. You have to pay a little more, so, I thought I would get three upgrades!"

I think that would upset me also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
What's Microsoft?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I recently bought a copy of Office 2008 Home and Student Edition from one retail store at $56 when it's $119 every where else. Then I signed up for a free upgrade for Office 2011 and was confirmed with email from Microsoft. Not bad for $56.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.66 i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
I was thinking about getting office 08 simply based on the free upgrade to 11 when its released... Any chance you can share which retail store has this for $56? Im very interested, but dont have $130+ to blow on a product that i dont absolutely NEED. PM me if forum rules prevent providing such info in posts... Thanks!

I recently bought a copy of Office 2008 Home and Student Edition from one retail store at $56 when it's $119 every where else. Then I signed up for a free upgrade for Office 2011 and was confirmed with email from Microsoft. Not bad for $56.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've just bought Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student. Upgrade offer clearly states that I will receive "Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 Family Pack - three installs in a single household".

Looks clear enough to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
So you don't like MS we get that nor it's founder who it has already been said left the company a few years back now. But to me your post is rambling and not at all fair to MS.

Not sure that Mr Jobs is whiter than the driven snow either when it comes to all things ethical.

Lighten up chill out and move on would be my advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I don't think even Gates would do something this low. Blame Ballmer I say. Might as well, he gets blamed for everything else though too :).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've just bought Office 2008 for Mac Home and Student. Upgrade offer clearly states that I will receive "Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 Family Pack - three installs in a single household".

Looks clear enough to me.

You may have received the upgrade offer before MS announced the licensing change. Check the EULA closely when you receive it. Unless MS is making a special exception for UK buyers, your upgrade of the Office 2011 Home and Student version will contain only one license. And that seems to be the bone of contention since previous versions of "Home and Student" have allowed for three installs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
Not sure that Mr Jobs is whiter than the driven snow either when it comes to all things ethical.

Maybe not, but Mr. Torvalds is ^^

Reaction score
I recommend that people not buy Microsoft Office and instead use Open Office, one of the variants of Open Office, or any of the several other free and legal alternatives. I've found Open Office to be just as good as Microsoft Office, at least for my needs. People have mentioned a few issues about it here and there when it comes to working with some file types, which perhaps it true, but I have yet to encounter those issues. I also recommend using a file format such as .rtf which is a more universal format instead of .wps or .doc.

Reaction score
I recommend that people not buy Microsoft Office and instead use Open Office, one of the variants of Open Office, or any of the several other free and legal alternatives. I've found Open Office to be just as good as Microsoft Office, at least for my needs. People have mentioned a few issues about it here and there when it comes to working with some file types, which perhaps it true, but I have yet to encounter those issues. I also recommend using a file format such as .rtf which is a more universal format instead of .wps or .doc.

.rtf is a universally accepted format.

.doc is a Microsoft format, and frankly, still needs work. Go figure.

.wps- never heard of it.

The thing with OpenOffice and its compatibility with MS Office is that if you save your work in OpenOffice and don't pay attention to what you're saving it at, .odf or .odt, you're screwed. But have you ever tried to carry over a presentation file (in .ppt or .pptx format) from OpenOffice to Microsoft Office? If you have you should've noticed that the theme(s) you chose will either get replaced by something else (requiring some editing in MS Office), or they will get butchered. And that's why even if you create something in the Mac version of Microsoft Office, you'll still have a few issues in the Windows version. Now, I do get my homework notes in a PowerPoint format from my professors- and those are created on a Windows 7 machine. Haven't had too many issues other than that the title will be somewhat off the slide on the Mac. MS Office is a bit buggy at best, but not severely bugged at that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Business is business. I've had employers (plural) who stretched the concept of honesty. Well, they thought that's what they were doing. Actually, they were being dishonest.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@ Chris H.

Actually *.RTF (Rich Text Format) was first created by Microsoft:

From Wiki: The Rich Text Format (often abbreviated RTF) is a proprietary document file format with published specification developed by Microsoft Corporation since 1987 for Microsoft products and for cross-platform document interchange.

*.DOC was originally used by both WordPerfect and Microsoft back in the days of DOS based word processors. (Prior to 1987) It was dropped by WordPerfect when standardizing file extensions was put into play. A push by Microsoft.

*.WPS is the document extension used by WordPerfect.

And, like it or not, Microsoft Office and its file extensions have become the de facto standard both in the business world and for the US, state, and most local governments. And for most schools of higher learning.

Reaction score
@ Chris H.

Actually *.RTF (Rich Text Format) was first created by Microsoft:

From Wiki: The Rich Text Format (often abbreviated RTF) is a proprietary document file format with published specification developed by Microsoft Corporation since 1987 for Microsoft products and for cross-platform document interchange.

*.DOC was originally used by both WordPerfect and Microsoft back in the days of DOS based word processors. (Prior to 1987) It was dropped by WordPerfect when standardizing file extensions was put into play. A push by Microsoft.

*.WPS is the document extension used by WordPerfect.

And, like it or not, Microsoft Office and its file extensions have become the de facto standard both in the business world and for the US, state, and most local governments. And for most schools of higher learning.

Ah. Thanks for the history lesson. It's been awhile since I took a class on very basic computers (like, seven years). ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.