• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

iSight?

Reaction score
Just a few questions about apple's iSight.
Where can I get this cheap? like in working use, for the iBook G4, with or without box, for under say £40 - £30.

Also, another question I have is, all of the videos I've seen on youtube, it seems like AMAZING quality, what megapixel is the camera?
Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just a few questions about apple's iSight.
Where can I get this cheap? like in working use, for the iBook G4, with or without box, for under say £40 - £30.

Also, another question I have is, all of the videos I've seen on youtube, it seems like AMAZING quality, what megapixel is the camera?
Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure which iSight camera you're talking about...almost all currently selling (any MANY older) Apple laptops & iMacs have a built-in iSight camera...and then there is the older external firewire iSight camera that looks like this:

4181FM5Q6XL._SS400_.jpg

If you're talking about the iSight camera pictured above...it just so happens a member here on Mac-Forums is selling one:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/bu...pple-isight-box-all-original-accessories.html

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
MrClungeHead
Reaction score
Yes! thats the one! Do you have any idea what mega pixle it is?!
Also - I am from the U.K, I am wondering, if I go to say ebay . com - and purchased one off there (they tend to be cheaper in the USA) - and had it sent over, would it still be compatable with an english iBook (seeing as its just a firewire / USB port, it should be universal?)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes! thats the one! Do you have any idea what mega pixle it is?!
Also - I am from the U.K, I am wondering, if I go to say ebay . com - and purchased one off there (they tend to be cheaper in the USA) - and had it sent over, would it still be compatable with an english iBook (seeing as its just a firewire / USB port, it should be universal?)

First let me say I have two of these external firewire cameras. Although they look impressive...I really don't think that they are that special when it comes to their megapixel density. The picture quality is pretty good...but the built-in iSight camera on newer Mac's IMHO is better.

These Apple firewire camera's were first released in 2003...so web camera technology has most likely advanced quite a bit since then. Here's a review if you haven't seen any:

Apple iSight WebCam reviews - CNET Reviews

Of course this review was in 2005...so the comments in a 5 year-old review need to be weighed & considered carefully. If you can find a newer USB based web camera to use with your G4 iBook...you might be better off (quality & price). Don't get me wrong...this firewire camera is good...you just have to be careful how much you pay for it vs. newer webcams.

As far as compatibility...there shouldn't be any hassles with one purchased from U.S....other than if you have to pay a lot of import taxes/fees to get it to the U.K.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.