how to get summery of the size of a bunch of files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
im used to in windows just being able to highlight a folder and see its size. any way to do this in osx without using getinfo. also id like to see the size of a bunch of files added together. if i select all files then hit getinfo it opens 20 different windows and all the info is seperate rather then the summery of all of them. any way to just select a bunch of files and see thier size added up automagically like windows.

Reaction score
im used to in windows just being able to highlight a folder and see its size. any way to do this in osx without using getinfo. also id like to see the size of a bunch of files added together. if i select all files then hit getinfo it opens 20 different windows and all the info is seperate rather then the summery of all of them. any way to just select a bunch of files and see thier size added up automagically like windows.
Hi there,

I would suggest that the easiest way to do what you're trying to do is to make a new folder and drop all of the files into this, then do a get info on the folder, which will give you the cumulative total that you're looking for. :)

Hope this info helps. :Cool:

EDIT: See below for a screenshot, to illustrate what I'm saying. :)
20100824-j1bwhutjgsfc4kmxdjgyfyjs1q.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Select the files, hold down the Option key, and choose File > Show Inspector. (The normal "Get Info" command becomes "Show Inspector" with the option key.

As a shortcut, press option-command-I.

By convention, the Option key is usually the toggle for "All" in keyboard shortcuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
..and it works in fall, winter and spring as well. ;)

Reaction score
or select the files and holding down the Control key, click on one of them. You'll notice that the normal "Get Info" command has changed to "Get Summary Info". Selecting it will give you a single window with the added sizes.

By the way, this is my very first post!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You could select the folder and hit spacebar - this brings up a summary of the folder. You can just keep clicking folders with the preview open - it will summarize the folder you have selected.

Added bonus tip - type this into a terminal and enable xray for picture folders.
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableXRayFolders 1

Rep for g.george for a good tip.

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
thanks all. using the option key works best for me since its the easiest to remember. thank you all who answered. im glad there is a way to do this. its something ive been wondering about quite awhile now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Select the files, hold down the Option key, and choose File > Show Inspector. (The normal "Get Info" command becomes "Show Inspector" with the option key.
or select the files and holding down the Control key, click on one of them. You'll notice that the normal "Get Info" command has changed to "Get Summary Info". Selecting it will give you a single window with the added sizes.
The result of those two actions seems to be the same.

You could select the folder and hit spacebar - this brings up a summary of the folder. You can just keep clicking folders with the preview open - it will summarize the folder you have selected.
That's too easy. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
..and it works in fall, winter and spring as well. ;)

That took me several long, furrowed brow secinds to get that. . . . must need coffee ;)

Reaction score
thanks all. using the option key works best for me since its the easiest to remember. thank you all who answered. im glad there is a way to do this. its something ive been wondering about quite awhile now.

Holy cow.... i've been frustrated by being unable to do this also - now, I can see the light... or, at least the selected items total size. Hurrah.

Wouldn't it be helpful to have this 'inspector' option explicitly mentioned if you right click after selecting a group of files - then you can see the option exists, and see the keyboard shortcut for it for the future also?

Have had a similar issue with spotlight - there's no right click option to show you how to open up the file in Finder.... rather than digging around the internet or the help menu, just put the option in the right click 'contextual menu' - easy, and it'll 'just work' ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.