Help please! Which Apple (s) to buy?

Reaction score
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help. I am about to switch from PC to Apple. But I don't know what to get.

My requirements are:

At home, normal home computer use - email, internet, minimal word processing, photos, Itunes.
Also, I travel to a fixed location in the UK about 20 times a year and spend between a couple of days and up to 6 weeks there at a time, where I would generally use the computer for similar things as home use.

I currently have a small (slow, old) laptop which I transport with me between the 2 locations.

So I was thinking of getting a 15 or 17 inch Macbook Pro and using it as I do my current laptop. Then I was wondering whether, using Apple's clever synching technology, it would actually be sensible (and a similar cost) to get a lovely 27 inch IMac for home and an Ipad for trips away. The kids would probably be very happy with that, as they get to use the Ipad when we are home, while I am using the IMac. Is this a sensible idea? Or should I just stick with a Macbook Pro? Or is there another solution I haven't thought of??

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!
Thanks
CJ

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 27" iMac for home use would be a nice replacement for any PC. No problem there. For the usage you described, the iPad should easily suffice when traveling. The 3G model has the advantage of allowing connectivity at other than WiFi hot spots. Of course you'll need some sort of a data plan with a local carrier there in the UK. So if you can afford both, go for it. :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you get the 15" MBP it would be a good all around mobile computer. The 17" is not portable to me...it's more like a desktop replacement. The 15" could be used as a desktop replacement as well but it definitely has more mobility than the 17".

Going the iMac and iPad can work too. Depends on your budget, and the iPad sounds like it can pretty much handle what you want a mobile device to do.

C

chas_m

A good laptop with an external monitor at home might do you slightly better, but I do agree with the posters above that the 27" iMac at home + iPad on the road is also good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.