Advice on getting a macbook

Reaction score
Hello, I am going off to university in around a months time.
I have been considering getting a macbook now for some time. But Apple's product cycles have always annoyed me.
I am looking at the base model 13inch Macbook Pro which retails for £999. However my friend says they are probably going to release a new one soon with the new i5/i7 processors.
I don't really play many games and the main use for the macbook pro would be for surfing, university work and media. I don't like the prospect of spending a large amount of money on a Macbook Pro only to see a new one replace it a month or two later.

Advice please. (Also i'm not considering the Macbook because personally, i find it quite ugly).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to the forum..

1st things 1st. Your friend coulnt be futher from the truth atm.

Thay have just released the new version 13" with the NVIDIA GeForce 320M and the 15" and 17" with the i5 and i7 processors. I really cant see  putting the i5 or i7 in the 13" any time soon.
If you want a rough estimate though at when they will bring out a newer version have a look MacRumour~Buyers Guide and it says in there they are in mid cycle. Nowhere have i seen that  is going to put the i5/i7 processor in the 13".

IF YOU NEED IT NOW BUY IT NOW. Dont wait for the latest and greatest as once you buy the next best thing will always be just around the corner.

Such a vicious cycle
Hope it helps some :)

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
Do you think that the MBP 13 inch will be enough for university? I just need something durable and versatile with a long battery life. Also produce some decent documents for essays and presentations etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
The base MacBook Pro will get the job done for you. I promise.

Reaction score
13" MacBook vs. 13" MacBook Pro

The only big differences are the casing of the two- one is a solid chunk of plastic, the other a solid chunk of aluminum.

The MacBook Pro 13" offers a 2.66 GHz Intel C2D, as well as the option of an SSD, and 8 GB RAM supported. (MacBook can unofficially handle 8 GB RAM, but Apple recommends no more than 4). It's up to you. Price wise- I'd go with the MacBook (white) simply because for a just a few hundred more you'll get extras you can later on add to the regular MacBook. 2.4 or 2.66- not a huge difference. 4-8 GB? Either can take those amounts. And you can always throw in a bigger hard drive (or even a Solid State Drive if you can find one) into the regular MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13", 2.4Ghz, 250HDD, 4Gb RAM, o/s 10.6.4 -:- iPod Touch, 32Gb, O/S 4.0.2 (used mostly as a PDA)
Hi AM92 :)

Just a thought. As you are talking £999 then I presume you are in the UK? Is it possible to wait until you get to uni before getting your Mac?

With your Uni Student ID card you will be able to get 15% educational discount in the Apple store ...... makes your £999 MBP an even more attractive £849 MBP :) . You may be able to use your enrollment confirmation letter in stead of the formal Uni ID, ask in your local Apple store. As a UK student you can also pick up the 3-year extended Apple Care package for £50 instead of the usual £199.

I know all of this as I just did the very same thing only 4 days ago. I'm just about to start my second year as a mature student on a BA(hon) course. I'm a first time Mac user having just (finally) become a Windows escapee. Just 4 days with my MBP and the only thing I regret is not having done this years ago.

BTW ..... get an NUS 'Extra' discount card (costs £10) a.s.a.p. before the fresher rush starts. Many places will accept the 'Extra' card whilst occasionally some outlets may turn up their nose at your student ID (not Apple though).

Good luck with the course & have a great time at Uni :)

Hey, you are my first post WhoooHooo!

Dave B.

OP
A
Reaction score
^thanks for the response.

Just bought the Macbook Pro & iPod touch off apple.
Yes I heard of the offer, I got a 15% discount via UCAS and I plan to get a rebate on the iPod and then sell it on. Which drives the MBP price down to around £770 lol.

Btw, some nooby questions:
How long do I need to charge the macbook first time round before I use?
Is it ok to plug the MBP into the mains for prolonged periods of time? I do that to my laptop and it destroys the battery life when I take it off the plug.

OP
A
Reaction score
Also, is there an adapter I can buy for the MBP? I realised there is only 1x audio output on there. But I recently bought a gaming headset which requires in AND out jacks. Is there an adapter that could convert it into one?

C

chas_m

Btw, some nooby questions:
How long do I need to charge the macbook first time round before I use?

You don't. It comes with half a charge, you should play with it immediately and ideally let it run down to the warning, then charge it all the way up.

Is it ok to plug the MBP into the mains for prolonged periods of time? I do that to my laptop and it destroys the battery life when I take it off the plug.

Yes, it's okay to plug the MBP into the mains for long periods of time. I'm writing this on a 2007 BlackBook that spends 95% of its time on the mains and the battery still works just like new. I do suggest you occasionally "calibrate" the battery -- at least every few months (Apple says monthly, but that's for heavy battery users).

Also, is there an adapter I can buy for the MBP? I realised there is only 1x audio output on there. But I recently bought a gaming headset which requires in AND out jacks. Is there an adapter that could convert it into one?

Not that I'm aware of. You can, otoh, easily make the USB port function as both, so I'd suggest looking in that direction (perhaps an iMic is the right tool for this job)?

Reaction score
i reccomend getting yourself the iStat pro, it tells you everything about your macbook, including battery cycles. In the iStat you can se the settings so you only see your computers info when you want (its setup as a widget). Hope you enjoy your mbp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.