Switched!!!

Reaction score
Got into my MBP 15" i7 antiglare screen. also picked up aperture 3 and iwork. got the free ipod touch rebate but may sell the touch due to the fact i can get by with an old second hand ipod for now (im holding out for holiday releases and poss. iphone Verizon release). so far amazing had it for 5 days now and im loving it. cant wait till the "relationship" with my computer continues to develop. ive been reading a lot of top app lists and other cool free app things but can you guys possibly give a few recommendations and what you use it for and why you like it.

C

chas_m

I generally tell people to spend time learning the apps that came with the Mac more than going out and filling up the hard drive so soon.

Having said that, Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian are important free downloads that allow QuickTime X to reach its full potential and I highly recommend them.

I also suggest setting up Time Machine as soon as possible.

Yes, there's tons of really cool and mostly free-to-low-cost Mac applications out there, but once you've gotten familiar with what's already on the machine, you'll have a better idea of something specific you find missing and we'll have better specific recommendations.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah already got those and im not worried about learning the preinstalled apps. im not a completely newbie person. ive got entirely used to it already and actually prefer the things i thoguht that may be annoying i.e. keyboard shortcuts being used with command and not control.

i will set up time machine after i figure out where i want to put all my pictures. i have two types; general hey look this is me on vacation and my photographic work. the resolution i came too and am curious about is using iphoto and its library to store and organize the aformentioned party pics, and keep aperture clean and organized by only putting up my proffesional work in it. any thought on that?

C

chas_m

i will set up time machine after i figure out where i want to put all my pictures. i have two types; general hey look this is me on vacation and my photographic work. the resolution i came too and am curious about is using iphoto and its library to store and organize the aformentioned party pics, and keep aperture clean and organized by only putting up my proffesional work in it. any thought on that?

You are my target market. :)

Yes, I think that's a very good plan. Although I work with the dev team of ACDSee Pro for Mac (beta), that's not to say I think iPhoto or Aperture (or Lightroom et al for that matter) are crap.

I think iPhoto works great for the type of stuff you're talking about using it for, and something like Aperture (coughORACDSEEcough) is well-suited to the needs of other sorts of users and/or image files.

You should definitely try out a few options, get a feel for them and go with what works for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
well aperture works for my needs. i just dont wnat to clog it with my college trips pictures and travels neccesarily so i think i will use that seperation. and to clarify again i have aperture and i love it for my professional work.

Reaction score
well aperture works for my needs. i just dont wnat to clog it with my college trips pictures and travels neccesarily so i think i will use that seperation. and to clarify again i have aperture and i love it for my professional work.

Aperture is VERY cool for what it does. Enjoy!
;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
One problem with it, though: every time I see Aperture, I hear GlaDOS in my head.

OP
S
Reaction score
lol yes i do as well and it has been settled. all my images are now managed by aperture
i love the imovie aperture co op no double uploading!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
*shrug* It's something that had to be said (for the good of all of us except the ones who are dead)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.