Mac virgin just ordered my first

Reaction score
Hey, just signed up here and thought I'd say hello. Have been having issue after issue with the last 2 windows based laptops I bought. Spent $850 on an HP 2 years ago that broke down a week after its year warranty was up, and another Acer Aspire Netbook that just didn't work out at all.

I am a Junior in college, and I gotta say, I was drug in by that student discount with the free 8gb Ipod touch. Saved $100 on the Macbook Pro 13", and now I can sell my Zune for $150 ish.. Not a bad deal. Went ahead and upgraded to the Pro over just the regular Macbook, because I do game from time to time, and the extra RAM may come in handy. I have been a PC guy for about 10 years though, so the transition to Mac might be a struggle. So I'll most likely be on here again asking dumb questions. You should all prepare yourselves ;)

Reaction score
I'm at the ready for your dumb (sorry- newbie?) ;) questions.

Oh..and welcome to Mac Forums!

Reaction score
I recently switched to an iMac. I have been using MS Windows since 3.0/3.1 Back in the day, I even played around with Version 1.0 (basically File Explorer). I haven't given up on Windows completely, but figured I would checkout what Macs had to offer.

The curve, for me, hasn't been too bad. I had completely forgotten about the fact that Apple acquired NeXT systems and leveraged their OS in the Macs. So, that's why the curve has not been as bad as I'm somewhat familiar with Unix and Linux (run a Debian instance for a file server and had been using Ubuntu on a laptop).

Unix/Linux can be a pain, so I give props to Apple to making Unix easy to use.

The curve for me will be learning Objective C. I'm used to Java, C++, C#, etc. Been doing some light reading on Objective C (basic syntax). The semantics of the language is easy (same concepts as other OO languages), but the syntax is what is getting me. Subtle differences, but they are a little annoying when you're not used to them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
C

chas_m

McYukon's suggestion was good, but for Windows switchers I prefer to recommend Pogue's other book, " Switching to the Mac rather than just the Snow Leopard MM.

I also suggest RockfnBttm have a look at this essay for my general counsel on switching from PC to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Hi and welcome to the forums. :)

I have been a PC guy for about 10 years though, so the transition to Mac might be a struggle.
I've used Windows since Windows 3.11 which means I've used almost all the versions so don't think it's impossible to lose old habits. I switched to Macs several years ago and have been enjoying it. There are many similarities between the two since Microsoft likes to copy Apple, but there are differences that you will eventually find out.

If you are pretty good with using computers in general then it shouldn't be that hard to learn the differences. This forum will be here for times when you need help. ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Literally cannot wait for it to arrive.

And chas, thanks for the link. I read through it and it seemed very helpful.

Also, is there a sticky somewhere for essential downloads? Like free tools to use for things like defrag, adobe reader, anti malware, benchmarkers, paint, etc.? Or would it be better to just ask individually for certain programs?

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Literally cannot wait for it to arrive.

And chas, thanks for the link. I read through it and it seemed very helpful.

Also, is there a sticky somewhere for essential downloads? Like free tools to use for things like defrag, adobe reader, anti malware, benchmarkers, paint, etc.? Or would it be better to just ask individually for certain programs?
Hi there,
When you say "Adobe reader", I'm assuming you mean "Acrobat reader", which is an app that allows you to open .pdf files on a PC. Well, if that's the case, you don't need anything more than an app called "Preview", which comes preinstalled on OS X. This will happily open .pdf files. :)

With regard to paint, might I suggest that you have a look at GIMP. :) It's has a lot more features than a basic paint app, in fact most people use it as substitute for the more expensive Photoshop. :)

Hope this helps. :Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Adding to the above by Rottie,
Googling for "Top 100 Mac Applications" will spit out 100s of results, among them:
Top 100 Essential Mac Applications | Mac Tricks And Tips
Free Software - The best free software for Windows and Mac.
Best Mac Software.org - The Best Software for Mac OS X (OSX)
Open Source Mac - Free Mac software, all open-source, all OS X.

It is argued that OS X needs no defragging, see this thread for the discussion:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-applications-games/207700-idefrag.html

Unless you frequent *those* sites and torrent pirated apps you have nothing to worry about regarding trojans, because OS X cannot get viruses, just trojans through pirated stuff.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Don't know how good it is but,
Xbench: Comprehensive Macintosh Benchmarking

Painting,
GIMP, as above ↑
Paintbrush | Home
open sword - pixen
And theres always Adobe Ps Elements

And before you download or buy any software, spend some time learning what OS X has built in.

Reaction score
Hi there,
When you say "Adobe reader", I'm assuming you mean "Acrobat reader", which is an app that allows you to open .pdf files on a PC. Well, if that's the case, you don't need anything more than an app called "Preview", which comes preinstalled on OS X. This will happily open .pdf files.

Preview can open up a myriad of things. It is one amazing application.

With regard to paint, might I suggest that you have a look at GIMP. :) It's has a lot more features than a basic paint app, in fact most people use it as substitute for the more expensive Photoshop. :)

If you're not into heavy photo editing, have a look at Paintbrush. Paintbrush. Simple like MS Paint, but a little easier. However, it does NOT have the same features as the new MS Paint does (textured brushes etc.)

It looks like McYukon beat me to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And before you download or buy any software, spend some time learning what OS X has built in.

And let me add to what McYukon has written .....before you download or buy any software, spend some time learning what OS X has built in.

You will be very surprised to what  has given us free already.

And again before you download or buy any software, spend some time learning what OS X has built in. :) Sorry but so many people just dont know what is in the  OS and i reiterate it all the time .....

Cheers

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.. Next question I have may be a dumb one..

I got a free 8GB iPod touch with purchase of my Mac, but I already own a 120gb Zune. I want to sell the Touch, simply because the size difference is gigantic. But, I don't see any word of the Zune being able to work on Mac. I'm sure everyone here uses Ipod for their music player, but would be nice if anyone knew. Would rather not have to downgrade to 8gb and sell of my nice 120gb Zune that I love ;(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
Welcome and hurrah!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
But, I don't see any word of the Zune being able to work on Mac. I'm sure everyone here uses Ipod for their music player, but would be nice if anyone knew. Would rather not have to downgrade to 8gb and sell of my nice 120gb Zune that I love ;(

I'm sorry to say this, but that Zune won't work on OS X. Microsoft doesn't support it.

If you don't want to lose out on the capacity of your Zune, you could always sell the iPod Touch for retail price (or close to it) and use that cash to fund an iPod Classic. Those start with 160 GB these days.

C

chas_m

I double-checked this, and J.Fo is of course correct. MS could easily support this product on the Mac, but won't. Nuff said.

OP
R
Reaction score
(cogic) trusds

I double-checked this, and J.Fo is of course correct. MS could easily support this product on the Mac, but won't. Nuff said.

Those b@stards!! Thanks J.Fo, appreciate the tip. Looks like I'll be selling the Zune after all and will use the money towards a bigger Ipod. That is a little disappointing though, always did love my Zune

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.