• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Exciting news I wanted to share with you all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
It's been one of my life goals to attend a teaching from HH the Dalai Lama and because of my wonderful wife, on October 21st, I will finally be able to! He will be speaking about "Ethics in a Modern World" and I couldn't be more excited to go. I am a christian attending seminary, BUT, I am also a surveyor of world religions. My major was religious studies in my undergrad and at seminary, I continue to study Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism and Shinto so as you can imagine, to be present at one of the world's great spiritual leader's teachings is a dream come true.

Have any of you heard him speak before? How was it? Should I bother bringing my camera? I thought about it but then thought that it may be impolite to the Dalai Lama and the others attending, so I thought I would ask for some advice. Also, what are some of your guy's ultimate life goals?

Trent out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
Way to go. Always nice to fulfill a dream. I'd say leave the camera at home to avoid seeming starstruck.

OP
CodeSamurai
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
I'm thinking the same about the camera...I would really like to capture the experience of the people watching and not necessarily of the Dalai Lama, but I agree, better to not appear star struck.

C

chas_m

Take the camera, set it so that it doesn't need flash (or tending to), put it on a table or something and set it where he's going to be ahead of time, and have it automatically take pictures ever (X) seconds or minutes. You're likely to get a decent shot or two out of that bunch without being intrusive.

(I'm assuming you know about ISO speeds for various lighting conditions to help you get a clear shot and so forth)

PS. I forgot to say "AWESOME!" I mean that. I'm not especially spiritual myself, but the Dalai Llama is a great person who has dedicated his life to helping others and that's about the best you can be in this world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
WOW and AWESOME mate .....

I have had the chance to be in the presence of this great man and it was such a humbling experience. He oozes ... Ummm Essence,greatness kindness and Ohh heck he just oozes hehe if you get my drift.

DO take the camera as you will be kicking yourself once the experience is over and you wont get another chance in this lifetime.

Im in reigioius terms Agnostic ..... but in the words of the great man himself "If you have a particular faith or religion, that is good. But you can survive without it." I have kept these words with me for a while and feel so much better in my life now i know this quote came from such a Holely Man :)

Take the camera CS It will be well worth it :)
Envious and a tad Jealous ATM

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
You'd better not take the camera, as i know, it will be considered as a profane of Buddhism, really impolite.

C

chas_m

Well, one should always ask the organisers ahead of time, BUT there do seem to be more than a few pictures of the Dalai Llama out there (and he routinely gives interviews) so I'm guessing it's not "profane" (there really isn't a concept like "profane" in Buddhism anyway).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You'd better not take the camera, as i know, it will be considered as a profane of Buddhism, really impolite.

Umm point me to where this is stated please ...... The function i got to attend, there were cameras everywhere. Just his minders do keep a close eye on him and dont let people get too close. As the Dalai Lama approaches people you dont approach him.

Camera's seemed to be fine :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.